Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 C240, 212,000 miles. Engine and transmission still good, solid body, reasonable wear and tear. Book value $1.5k max. I use it mainly as utility vehicle to run errands around town. Today I got a quote from Indie shop to spend $1,500.00 to replace front control/lower arms, front brake pads and rotors, and radiator replacement. Quote includes OEM parts and labor, warranty 24k miles or 2yrs. Is it worthwhile to spend this money on the car? I have a newer second vehicle so usage on both cars is light. Is it worthwhile to repair, or should I sell for $1k or under, and move on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2002 C240, 212,000 miles. Engine and transmission still good, solid body, reasonable wear and tear. Book value $1.5k max. I use it mainly as utility vehicle to run errands around town. Today I got a quote from Indie shop to spend $1,500.00 to replace front control/lower arms, front brake pads and rotors, and radiator replacement. Quote includes OEM parts and labor, warranty 24k miles or 2yrs. Is it worthwhile to spend this money on the car? I have a newer second vehicle so usage on both cars is light. Is it worthwhile to repair, or should I sell for $1k or under, and move on?
What becomes a problem is the deterioration of the running gear and suspension components. ive been connected with mb for almost 50 years and have seen just about everything going wrong.
Things to look at:
Wiring harness- mice and squirrels love to eat them. As the wiring ages, it gets brittle, insulation fails, computers quick working.
Suspension- springs get weak, rust, crack, just plain fail. Suspension pickup points rust out and crack, rubber bushings rot out, bolts rust. Our 2010 c300 just had rear cross member fail-$4-5000 fix.
Fuel and brake systems- these lines are rust prone, will fail and leak. The ethanol in gas is destroying rubber, corroding aluminum parts and is just plain nasty stuff. Brake fluid absorbs water, corroding calipers, mastercylanders. Most owners ignore changing it until it’s too late.

I’d sell and move on...buy a cheap used honda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What becomes a problem is the deterioration of the running gear and suspension components. ive been connected with mb for almost 50 years and have seen just about everything going wrong.
Things to look at:
Wiring harness- mice and squirrels love to eat them. As the wiring ages, it gets brittle, insulation fails, computers quick working.
Suspension- springs get weak, rust, crack, just plain fail. Suspension pickup points rust out and crack, rubber bushings rot out, bolts rust. Our 2010 c300 just had rear cross member fail-$4-5000 fix.
Fuel and brake systems- these lines are rust prone, will fail and leak. The ethanol in gas is destroying rubber, corroding aluminum parts and is just plain nasty stuff. Brake fluid absorbs water, corroding calipers, mastercylanders. Most owners ignore changing it until it’s too late.

I’d sell and move on...buy a cheap used honda
Thanks John,,, (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts