Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Looking at buying my first benz, a 2001/2002 c240 (120k km)and was looking for advice from experienced owners. Seems the 'C' series is taking a bit of heat in my office about it's reliability. I like the look and feel... just a bit put off by the hearsay comments...

Would you c240 owners be buying the same model again? and what problems have you run into and parts costs $$$.

Thank You,

BTW. I'm in Toronto, Canada

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know it's kinda a silly question to be asking in a merc board... but I was hoping to hear that it's not the nightmare that a few of the people I know have made it out to be... and parts can be had and the vehicle can be self maintained (I've done pretty much all of the work on my cars for the last 20 years - honda,chrysler,gm,ford,nissan).

I had done some reading and found that they seem to suggest the ball joints/control arms seem to be problematic on the vehicles in the 2001/2002 years. Consumer guide seem to all suggest the transmission as a $4200 repair job and struts/shocs as a $6200 job... these last two are the ones that have me a little aprehesive about buying (I just did the coil on my honda accord, coil cost me $80 plus 3-4 hours of my time).

Any comments would be most appreciated,

Jaime

·
Registered
678 Posts
An 01 or 02 C-class is definately not the prime choice to buy. 03's tend to be more reliable. 04's and on even more so. The 01's and 02's have a huge list of items that commonly go wrong with them. There were numerous bulletins released to repair pretty much all of them, but whether the works been performed on the car is another story. If you can find an 01 or 02 that was really went over just before it got out of warranty, it might actually be a pretty good car.

$6200 for shocks and struts on the car is false. The price on shocks/struts is pretty proportional to the price of everything else on the car in relation to other vehicles (if that makes sense). Plus C-class shocks and struts are extremely well made, and last a long time. I have never had to replace any, so yes, a long time. But they are plagued with other front suspension woes. The thrust arm bushings on the front tend to crack easily causing them to loose their fluid (updated bushings are available). The front swaybar is notorious for making noises (updated bushings and endlinks are available). And every once in a while I see a lower ball joints or thrust arm joints go bad (don't think there's updated parts available for these).

There's also a bunch of miscellaneous problems that tend to go wrong with them. The footwell flap lever of the AAC system tends to break (updated part available, requires pulling alot of the intrument panel apart). The instrument cluster multifunction display can fade when they get hot (IC replacement would fix that). Certain Valeo radiators tend to like to leak coolant into the transmission fluid (repair costs can vary greatly for this one). And the transmissions leak at the electrical connector. Actually, you can eliminate a few of these problems from ever happening buy simply buying one with a manual transmission.

There's also the usual drivability problems that happen periodically with M112 and M113 engines. (e.g. MAF sensors, Crank Pos. Sensor, Plug wires, etc.).

So I guess the biggest thing would be to either take a really good look at service history, or buy a newer one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sort of stuck on those years because of budget and was hoping because of the 120k km's that those common problems were all cleared up already. I'll see if I can get a service history for the vehicle.

Thanks for replying

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a '98 c230 had it about 2 years now, and the only thing that went wrong with it was the a/c about 6 months after I bought it. (The compressor had to be replaced). Other than that it is a very solid little car and gets very good gas milage with the 2.3litre engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts