Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 C240. I do alot of highway driving with approximately 150 pounds of paper in the trunk consequently the car sits low in the rear. Now that cold weather is here, I notice the car handles very poorly with snowy or icy road conditions. While driving at higher speeds with slightly slippery conditions the car seems to "fish tail". This is more pronounced with moderate to high cross wind speeds. I am used to driving rear wheel cars in inclement weather. Therefore, I believe the problem I am experiencing is not normal.

What I suspect is happening is: with the extra weight in the rear of the car, I have changed the aerodynamics of the car (the rear is ~1.5 in. low). This means less weight on the front suspension and I am feeling excessive play in the suspension system when I have moderate to high lateral wind loading on the car. Also with less weight on the front tires I have less friction so with slippery road conditions and cross wind loading the front tires may slide sideways on the pavement.

I have new tires on the car. So at this time, I plan to install new struts and shocks then have the front and rear wheels aligned. If the rear is still low, I may have shims installed in the rear springs. Does anyone have other suggestions???

1 - 1 of 1 Posts