Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 c280 Sport, 100k miles

Hi- I did a search, but found no hits.

I'm getting a "Check engine" light on the dash, and I'd like to arm myself with some info before I bring it in for service. I've heard there's a way to display diagnostic codes. Can you tell how to display the codes, and how to interpret them?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 1997 c280 its had a tone of problem can you describe any simptoms, my best guess is its a mass air flow sensor. That is with out any info on your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ding ding ding! You guessed it

...at least, I think.

We had the air mass sensor replaced, and the light is back on now. I was hoping to arm myself with some information so we have an even playing field when we go back to the repair shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rimshot said:
1996 c280 Sport, 100k miles

Hi- I did a search, but found no hits.

I'm getting a "Check engine" light on the dash, and I'd like to arm myself with some info before I bring it in for service. I've heard there's a way to display diagnostic codes. Can you tell how to display the codes, and how to interpret them?

Thanks in advance!
I have a 1998 C280 and would like to find-out how to turn off the "check engine" light without having to go to the dealer, all services have been done...Can anyone help me...Domingo

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have an auto parts store here in New England called Auto Zone. I don't know if they are universal, but they will check the codes with a hand held reader at no charge. Or, you could just cover it with some black electrical tape...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trouble codes

Hi - I have a 1998 C280 Sport with similar problems, From what I could attain, the check engine light is strictly used for your emissions system. There are few parts that could indicate this problem.. MAF sensors, O2 sensors, TPS (Throttle position Sensor) and various check valves that are interconnected to the vacuum system. You probably have 4 O2 sensors and any one of which could cause the problem as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read about Check Engine light from some Web sites. There is another way to reset the light by disconnecting the battery for one minute. If it comes back on again, then the car really has problems. Some said the car needs 40 starting cycles to reset the light if it was miss trigged. I have my light on right now but I could not try this method since I lost my radio code. My radio would not work again if the battery were disconnected. I will send my car to the shop next week.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, bear this in mind. If the light is on and steady, it is probably just an emissions based problem. If it is flashing, SHUT DOWN!! 8O That is when it could be quite serious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts