Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 C280...

One of the bulbs in the instrument cluster has gone out. How do I access it to change the bulb?

I'm sure it's probably easy, but I can't immediately figure it out. Do I need any sort of special tool?

Any help is appreciated.

I just find it ridiculous to have to take it to a dealer and get charged $50 labor for them to replace $2 light bulb!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You'll need MB instrument cluster hooks. They insert on the sides near the bottom and will hook into little detents on the cluster housing. A little tug and it should pop right out. If you can't work it out with the wheel in place you may have to pull it as well. There are two torx screws behind the wheel to remove the airbag and I believe a 10mm hex bolt that holds the wheel. The torx bits necessary can be purchased form your MB dealer as well. They refer to them as airbag removal tools. I use them in conjunction with the Snap-On ratcheting offset screwdriver kit with great result, although I know Craftsman has a small profile 1/8th" drive tool that does the same thing. Make sure you mark where the wheel was with a chisel and hammer if you pull it to save some frustration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts