Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to the forum and i am considering purchasing a 1998 C280. it is mint condition, has 60,000 miles, and the previous owner took great care of the car.

1) what is your general impression of the car?
2) are there any significant known problems (engine, tranny, electrical, etc.)?
3) is the car more of a sporty car or a car designed for comfort?
4) will the car be reliable in the long run?

thanks ahead of time for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:)

I just purchased C-280 Sport 1998 about 3 months ago..
has 42K miles right now.. still in good conditions..

be sure to buy the extended warranty..
I had a problem due to the sensor... and it cost me $800.00 just to replace including the labor..

THe mechanic told me , it is common with Benz .. they have about more then 30 sensors in the engine ... it is good if you have extended warranty for the car...

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi

Well i have a sedan c230 K in fact are the same chasis and similar structure of the c280 obviously with a bigger engine and transmission the thing that i recommend u is to make a complete revision specially of the transmission and the suspension because this two elements make constantly a lot of effort. also I think that u can change your transmission fluid complete service and change the elements of engine like the supporters i congratulate u for the excelent car that u have welcome to the benz world :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My C280

I have a 98 C280 that just rolled up to 117,000 miles. Great car, and I would place it more on the luxury side of the house--which is what I bought it for. Well appointed and the leather and sunroof are a definate bonus that you should try to get. Not a quick car right off the line (but the V-6 helps), however when passing or quick accelerating once you are moving it can flat-out go. Mercedes quality is evident throughout, and besides some brake squeeling and a couple of quirks with the power seats and cd changer, I love the car.
Great looking car, typical MB styling, but I will admit that I'm jealous of the newer C320 owners who get the new body style with the "swept-back" headlights like the E-class.......darn thing is that my C280 hasn't shown any signs of wearing out despite high miles. I may never find a good excuse to get a new C320 :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts