Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-b here. I have a 2000 c280s with 88K. Recently, it has become hard to start once the car is up to operating temperature. When the key is turned, the engine rotates over, but does not "fire off". After a brief wait (sometime 30 minutes), the car starts normally.

Yesterday, the car just cut off in the middle of Friday 5 o'clock traffic. Again, the engine would turn over, but not "fire off" (or whatever the technical term is). After several "one finger salutes" from the mass of people trying to begin their weekends, two kind individuals helped push me out of traffic (and off the road). After about 10 minutes, the car started up. I attempted to continue my drive home. Less than one block later, the car repeated its earlier performance. Once again, I had to be pushed off the road (much to the thrill of the forgiving commuters). The car remained parked at that location for about 4 hours. Once I returned to the car, it fired up normally and was driven home...where it currently sits.

FYI...the car did not appear to be overheating. It had 3/4 tank of fuel. There were no unusual noises or smells. All fluid levels were normal.

Any sugestions on what the issue could be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. That is the second time I have heard of the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) as a suggestion. I tried to drive the car this past weekend...no luck. It would operate about 30 minutes, then just cut off. After about a 30 minute wait, it would restart normally. This cycle was repeated three more times Sunday. I ordered a new CPS through rockauto.com. It arrived this afternoon. After removing the old and installing the new, I found out that the plug receptical was not the same. (My fault for not actually plugging in the wires to ensure proper connection...prior to installation.) The old CPS and new CPS looked identical from the exterior, but the inner plug connection was different. The guys at rockauto.com found out that more than one type of CPS was used in 2000. Unfortunately, they were unable to order the correct one, but they did supply an alternate company. I made a call to my local MB dealer and was told they had two available...obviously for a 40% increase in price. Hmmm.

If I knew for sure this would fix the issue, I would grab the CPS locally, install it and move on (with a lighter wallet). Anyone else have this type of issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I bit the bullet and purchased the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) from the MB dealership ($140). Problem solved. BTW, you will need a small Torx socket set to accomplish this task. This was a very simple repair. Anyone with a limited amount of mechanical skill should be able to accomplish this...once the CPS is located. ***Word of caution***, the MB dealership parts list showed only the CPS that would not fit (see previous post). A MB repair person stated the 2000s used both types, eventhough it is not listed.
Thanks Zewerr and Troutman for the inputs. I hope this information is helpful to others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts