Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I own a 2002 C320 Wagon, purchased used, still under factory warranty. Lately, I have been experiencing electrical problems. Dealer installed a new power seat module and said no more battery drain. Now, the Exit/Entry convenience (reset) does not cause the seat to move back all the way; the reverse mirror feature works occassionally; and when the passenger seat is moved forward or aft, the headrest goes up. I can also hear what sounds to be an electric motor running even when the key is out - from the area where the sunroof controls are located. Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

The other big concern is the vibrating/rumbling sounds from the rear hatchback or suspension. Sometimes the hatch sounds as though its vibrating. Other times the rear suspension is clunky and makes rumbling sounds.

So far the dealer has been pleasant. I really like this car and want to keep it for a while. Please let me know if any of you have experienced similar problems. Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Problems with the power seat functions and the reverse mirror were very common on the early W203's. I don't know of any particular solution, but it sounds as if the new control module is defective.

The noises from the rear suspension are also very common. Have the dealer check all the bushings and the shock mounts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C320 Wagon continued

Lynn:

Thanks for your feedback. I've only had the car for 4 months and its been in the repair shop for 3 days. Now I have to take it back for parts on order - lower control arms. Are these battery power drains really that common? The suspension issues are starting to concern me as well. The possibility that the hatch back plastic is loose is still good, but who knows.

Shouldn't the dealer be able to completely fix the electrical trouble? IF they can not, who else can? I like this car and had hoped to keep it as long as I had my Honda. However, if these problems persist and I experience more in the repair shop time, I may trade it in on who knows what.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
These vehicles will consistently draw 20-30 mA of power after everything has gone to sleep in the vehicle (the computers don't turn off right away when the car does). As such, the vehicle will definately run the battery down if the car is not driven regularly, or if it is only used for short distances. Your alternator serves more to maintain current battery levels than to actually charge up a low battery. I would recommend the purchase of a battery maintainer as a precautionary measure if your particular driving characteristcs match these criteria. Porsche actually makes a great one that plugs into your cigarette lighter and into the wall. it moniters voltage levels and only work when needed. Obviously, if there is an excessive draw, that is an issue that your service department needs to resolve. The front SAM could be suspect, as could the DCM or as stated, maybe you just got a bad seat module.

One more thought. Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed in the vehicle (V1, phone, etc)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C320 Wagon continued...

PHAEDRUS242,

Thanks for the feedback. We actually use the car for "typical" driving. I can not possibly believe that the electric motor sound that I referenced coming from the area of the sun roof controls is normal. I have heard this even after several hours of no use. Have you ever heard of the cars making such a sound?

I can only hope the suspension matter is not serious and that the rattle is simply loose plastic trim.

Are these cars known to be problematic with respect to electrical problems and suspension problems? Other than the forum, I did not see such evidence during my pre-purchase researc.

Thanks for your help.
Alan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C320 Wagon continued...

No aftermarket items installed on car. No telephone installed other than that ridiculous thing in the radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts