Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 C43AMG, good condition. Runs like a scared rabbit. NO, I don't mean Vdubb rabbit.
I also have a couple other Benz in which the radio reception is good.
However, in the C43, the AM reception is sh8 !
I recently bought a rear bumber cover from a C280 so I can mount a trailer hitch without having to cut the AMG cover to pull my snow mobile trailer. Since there were only about 1200 of these AMGs imported, if I ever sell it, I'd like to be able to return it to to factory stock look.
The yard where I bought the cover allowed me to help with the removal and I found a couple of modules (about 4" square, each), one on each side of the cover, with a coaxial cable going into the trunk. Not sure where It terminated but I suspect it was at the radio. I also suspect one of mine is bad.
Anyway, I'm wondering if those modules are amplifiers for the antenna, one for AM and the other for FM.
Does anyone know what they are for ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
"a couple of modules" ? Not sure what they are for...
I am pretty sure that the amplifier for the radio upgrade option had an amplifier which was mounted in the wall at the left side of the trunk (boot).
My C36 doesn't have the upgrade radio and was pretty average on reception and output. So I bought a much better Mercedes OEM used radio with a more powerful integrated amplifier.
That worked a treat with much improved reception and output. It also looks factory standard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they were on the bumper I doubt it has anything to do with the radio. I can't say for sure but that's not where I'd put it, but it is where I'd put sensors. Radar for example, or maybe to trip the air bags. Both of those would explain why there are two of them. I'd assume the antenna would be in the glass of the windshield or rear window, and probably at the very top.
You didn't mention if the reception problem existed before the new bumper, after, or both.
Not sure what country you're in but I noticed in the UK they have a very different hitch than in the US. Theirs comes out from under the bumper and curves around it, then almost straight up to the ball. The long curved shaft and ball are one piece and all I could think of is it looks like a sex toy and I thought to myself I bet $ those things get violated by drunks in the wee hours! Point being you shouldn't need to alter the plastic since it goes around it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they were on the bumper I doubt it has anything to do with the radio. I can't say for sure but that's not where I'd put it, but it is where I'd put sensors. Radar for example, or maybe to trip the air bags. Both of those would explain why there are two of them. I'd assume the antenna would be in the glass of the windshield or rear window, and probably at the very top.
You didn't mention if the reception problem existed before the new bumper, after, or both.
Not sure what country you're in but I noticed in the UK they have a very different hitch than in the US. Theirs comes out from under the bumper and curves around it, then almost straight up to the ball. The long curved shaft and ball are one piece and all I could think of is it looks like a sex toy and I thought to myself I bet $ those things get violated by drunks in the wee hours! Point being you shouldn't need to alter the plastic since it goes around it.
I have not installed the bumper cover yet.
These modules I'm talking about are in the bumper cover I bought at the junk yard. The cable is coaxial and has a typical RF cable with a connector like what goes into a radio. I don't believe they are fo a radar detector.
I did not follow the cable into the car since the fella who was removing the bumper cover had another job to work on and would not let me play around with the car.
The poor reception has been since I bought the car last year and sounds like the antenna is not connected but the reception on FM is good.
I'm in the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts