Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 CLK 320 convertible. I love it. it only has 57k miles on it and it runs great.

The tow rating on it is 3300 lbs. (compared to my husband's Toyota Solara which has a tow rating of 2000 lbs)

We want to buy a 13' ligthtweight fiberglass camper that has a total weight of 1200 lbs, or a 16' same type camper with a gross weight of 1700 lbs. I know the numbers seem to say it's okay, but am I abusing my CLK320 by expecting to tow a camper with it?

This is my first Mercedes. Is it really more capable of towing than the Toyota Solara, which is a bigger sedan?

Any advice is appreciated. I would much prefer to use the Mercedes to travel the country with our camper. Of course!

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Sorry but I would avoid this idea like the plaque, a car of that size and given its steering geometry is not designed for towing. If it were a GL or ML then OK but this is a very small car and I do not believe it will do the transmission any good. Best cars for towing should have a manual box.

I also notice this is a convertible, so there are no 'B' pillers, again a weak spot.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Darn. I was afraid of that. Can you explain why it would have a tow rating of 3300 lbs? I read an article at

http://www.ehow.com/how_7877828_tow-mercedes-clk-320.html

That talked about towing with my model. Would you be kind and read it and comment on it? I do value your opinion.

Thank you
I read it and do not agree with it, I have been a tech for many years and now take care of the technical side of many workshops within the group here in China, so I do know my stuff.

I note at the end of this article it goes on about how to change the brakes on this model, ironic is it not:roll: The rear of the car is very light and a tailer that goes into a snake type movement will take the car off the road. It is very risky.

It says nothing about wear and tear on the car nor does it explain that the best vehicle for this task is manual and not Auto. Benz Auto transmissions both 722.6 and 722.9 are not up to this task and a new transmission is not cheap to say the least.

Tyre/tire wear is not mentioned either, the weight of the trailer will lower the rear suspension and raise the front suspension, thus changing the overall geometry, tyres will wear a darn site faster this way, not to mention the sway movement a trailer creates at certain speeds and wind angles.

Finally, I towed a caravan around most of europe with a brand new BMW 316, Manual box which is a similar weight car to yours, I had brake fade so many times it became a serious concern, and the brake bills were astronomical.

You do need a larger vehicle for this job to be safe and to avoid silly workshop bills, sorry to be negative on this but your and other road users safety is important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am listening. Thank you. It is out of the question, indeed. Safety is what matters, and repair costs! Ok that's what I needed to know. Thank you very much.

Do you think the Toyota Solara SLE is well suited for the smaller 13' camper? The Solara is a larger car, not a convertible. But also not an SUV or a truck. These campers are supposed to be suited for smaller vehicles. Opinion?

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I am listening. Thank you. It is out of the question, indeed. Safety is what matters, and repair costs! Ok that's what I needed to know. Thank you very much.

Do you think the Toyota Solara SLE is well suited for the smaller 13' camper? The Solara is a larger car, not a convertible. But also not an SUV or a truck. These campers are supposed to be suited for smaller vehicles. Opinion?
Could you explain more about the camper, is it like a trailer tent??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Camper

It is an ultralight Fiberglass camper. Much lighter than a pop up tent trailer.
Here is the website for it.

http://www.trilliumrv.com/models

The smaller one, the 1300.

Read that and then go to the home page for a bit more info. I know they are tall, so I understand about the movement concern when the wind hits it.

Another brand of the same type is

http://www.scamptrailers.com/

Thx. (I won't be back on til later today.)

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Something that size you could probably use the Benz to tow, but I would look for a stabalizing kit to stop the shakes as it is a little tall, here is a pic of what I think should pull it correctly allowing for airodynamics and handling. Mouse over the pic and left click to enlarge.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
12 years later but here it goes.

Uhaul's 6x12 trailer has 2 wheel on each side, it will stabilize the snake movement. Second, it has brake assist so you don't have to worry about the brake pad going out faster than normal.

The 1500kg or 3300 lbs Mercedes Benz recommended towing capacity for 2004-2009 A209 chassis CLK convertible is with "brake assist", which Uhaul has one built-in. You may need to spend $250-$300 at Mercedes Benz dealer to have the brake electronic signal translater to a gadget that can hook up to Uhaul's 6x12 trailer. Uhaul will retrofit your Mercedes Benz A209 CLK with a customer made hitch that will fit the Uhaul trailer, free of charge in Arizona. You have to drive and give up your Mercedes Benz for a week for you to get that installation for free and with lifetime warranty. I think it's worth a shot, esp. if you plan to use the trailer to move across state, which I might be doing in the next 2 years.

Good investment in my opinion. My 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet currently is being upgraded to totally brand new shocks, front and rear and brand new control arms, brand new Bosch double iridium spark plugs (16 qty. of them), new MAF, new carbon filter both engine compartment and cabin, fully synthetic motor oil, etc. Will drive like new. This V8 4966cc engine has only 109k miles and in great shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts