Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: not very positive at all. They state the 0 - 60 as 8+ seconds, and like the 1.8 better than the 2.3, but they were not impressed by the car overall. Did they drive the same car I do everyday? doesn't sound like it.
Scott in Tampa
'03 C230k

·
Registered
125 Posts
C& D review of CL230

I prefer the 1.8 to the 2.3 also as it is quieter, just as strong and the supercharger is much quieter. But as for the overall car and the 0-60, i disagree with C&D. I used to be a stock car racer, in my youth, and i can beat 8 seconds easily--with the Tiptronic 5er!! C&D favour BMWs. I tested a 2003 320i and chose the 230 as a better allround vehicle. It is better in most ways than the 320, and faster, without so much noise and commotion!!! Enjoy it. Cheers.

Al

:lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
8.1 seconds, 0 to 60? Oh wait, I got it figured out. They claim the stock weight of the car is 3,290 lbs. Of course, that doesn't match up with either of Mercedes figures (3,250 manual, 3,280 auto). But we'll guess that he tested an automatic, because that's within 10 pounds of his quoted weight.

Now, add in about 500 pounds of lard-ass, you get 3,790 pounds, and I coud see 0-60 in 8.1 seconds!!! :lol:

But seriously, the auto ticks in at 7.5 according to mbusa.com, so that's not toooo far off Pund's review. I just wonder who in their right mind gave Car & Driver a "sports coupe" with an automatic tranny, C7 package, and no C2? I'm sorry, but MB deserves the review it got based on that alone! Like, DUH! C&D isn't into "pretty" (as witnessed by all the glowing reviews they give to Supremely Ugly Vehicles), they wanted to review "sporty".

I'm getting tired of C&D. I'm glad my subscription is up soon -- I won't be renewing it!

Aaron

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I can't stand about C&D is that every car they test is either rated good or bad, with no gray area at all. That's one of the reasons I prefer Road and Track- they give you a more balanced opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's Car and DRIVER not Car and Sunday Driver...

It cracks me up when people thinks C&D is biased towards BMW... of course they are because that's what they are about... drivers like to drive sporty cars... duh...

If you don't like C&D's predisposition to exciting cars to drive then you should be reading Motortrend where it is all about comfort and fashion.

I own a 325i (without sports package), A4 (with sports package) and a C230K and the MB is no way near as fun to drive as the other 2. Now that's an opinion but I'm not surprised that C&D may come to the same conclusion.

If Motortrend was doing the review, they would gush all over the nice MB seats and how nice the roof profile looks, or how they would rather drive a SUV... :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Car and Driver claims to be a well-rounded magazine, and since they do more than their fair share of comparison tests involving SUVs and trucks, I would expect them to be a little more fair to cars which aren't 100% driver's cars. If it were Evo magazine, which only tests exciting sports cars, I'd understand their comments, but not from C&D.

·
Registered
34 Posts
GJR said:
Car and Driver claims to be a well-rounded magazine, and since they do more than their fair share of comparison tests involving SUVs and trucks, I would expect them to be a little more fair to cars which aren't 100% driver's cars.
Word. I got an issue just a couple months ago -- I thought I'd subscribed to the wrong magazine! It was all SUV's and trucks, and only one or two small articles with a car in it. I was about ready to can my subscription at that point.

Eh, I only really liked the rag when DEDjr was in charge. Those were the days. Now I only read it because occasionally they'll have an interesting sports car review in there (interesting car, not interesting review). But with the recent bent towards SUV's and trucks and minivans, I'm going to bail. I guess I'll trade subscriptions for Benzo instead -- much more pertinent!

Aaron

·
Registered
43 Posts
car and driver reveiw july 03

Yesterday I received the july issue of car and driver magizine.After looking thru the magazine I saw they did a reveiw of the 2003 Mercedes C230 coupe. That reveiw was completely incorrect and unfair to this car. I have the 03 coupe with the new motor 1.8 motor that seemed to be the only bright spot in the reveiw. Other Benz Forum members seemed to really like the 02 car with the 2.3, they made that motor seem like a very noisy piece of junk. The hatchback was brought up as a issue, they never mentioned that the corvette, 350Z, G35, and there beloved Acura rsx, plus many other cars are hatchbacks. They mentioned about the 6 speed transmission as not being refined, and the lack of a standard cd player, that is the only issue I agree with. I haven driven this car for 6 months now and feel very upset with this unfair and unjust reveiw. The Mercedes C230 coupe is a fun, fast,sleek coupe, priced right car, this words were never associated with Mercedes Benz before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I can sorta believe C&D on the 0-60. I just bought an 2003 c230 coupe about a month ago and the car doesn't really feel that fast. It might be because the car is soooo smoooth, but i swear my 95 maxima is way faster. I still have the max and going back and fourth between the two, it's just not the same. Maybe it's just me, but i really don't feel its as fast as MB claims it to be. But the handling, ride, fit and finish are great. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the c320 coupe instead though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car for it's 0-60 times. The mags test each car the same way. I don't drive my Miata the same way I drive my WRX. And I drive trucks differently than cars. Buy a car for what you like...the overall package. 0-60 times are meaningless.

BTW, 8.1 sec 0-60 is realistic for the C230K. Just look at the power to weight ratio. 8 sec. is no race car, but it should be enough for street driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
c&d review

I traded in my 3.2cl type s for my C230k and I have so much more fun in the C230 just turn of the esp on a wet day and bam your doing power slides and donuts with my mods I can now do them on dry surface I just bought my soon to be wife a 98 clk 320 and I like my car better I just don't under stand Car & Driver

P.S. I like the nois my 2.3k makes I don't like the 1.8 it just seems like a downgrade
:D \

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I just sent my car in to MB for a problem. The car stalled out on me 4 times in the last two days and when I went to the dealers, it stalled on the service advisor too. That makes 5 times in just two days. I only got the car little over a month ago. Anyone else have this problem or had this problem? I have an 2003 c230. Anyways, they gave me a c320 wagon for a service loaner, and WOW :D, I can't believe the power this thing has. I'm kicking myself now for not getting the c320 coupe. Guess I gotta live with what I have. Speed's not everything. But, WOW!

·
Registered
31 Posts
car and driver can totally bite me. look: worst thing that happens is fewer people buy the car we all know and love. i liked it when mine was one of the few on the road, i like it now that i see a ton of them, and i'll like it again if i start seeing fewer. basically, i could not care less. i have more affection for this car than for any other i've had, and no review is going to make any difference in how i feel in half an hour when i go downstairs and drive to dinner. seriously.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Coupe:C7D Review

Hi

If you just got your C230 and you are from Vancouver(I'M from the Big Island), try it out on the Vancouver to Calgary route via the Roger's Pass. While I doubt your Maxima can 'take' the C230, with proper driving, you will certainly find out how strong and perky the 1.8 engine is in the twisties and in the mountains--no power loss and it tracks extremely well at even illegal speeds. The V6 is not worth the extra money and is heavier and thirstier. Enjoy what you'v got. As noted, I gave up on BMW after comparos. The A4 gave me claustrophobia and was annoying over uneven roads.
You bought a super car. Enjoy it.

Al :lol:

·
Banned
175 Posts
The V6 is not worth the extra money.... It's not that much more money, and worth it, drive it and then you will know. I had the C230 and the C320 is different. "heavier and thirstier" not that much and gas milage is about 21 to 25, no big deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230/C320 V6 versus 4 cyl

This is a question of two cars with different personalities & one's personal preferences. Similar engineering for sure. The V6: I drove it and didn't like it much and it has minimal gains in torque and HP. Sure, the 320 is an excellent auto; well built and drives at least as well as the 230. A lot more loot to buy here in Vancouver!! I just like the twin cam 4 and it has all I need(from my humble perspective), in terms of torque and HP. Those who have 320's have excellent cars as we who have 230's have, also. As for fuel economy, I would like to hear from those who have a V6er. I got close to 40 MPG(Imperial gallons, not US gallons) on my 2,000 mile trip recently, driving 65 to 75MPH most of the time. Of course, in Florida, car costs are probably cheaper than here in Canada: car price, engines and the lot! Not to mention gas prices which are very high here on the West Coast.
Heh! I still have my 300E with the straight 6 and that one goes pretty quick too when you overcome the 2nd gear starts. But gas consumption is not like a 230! Cheers.

Al :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree with C230k - the price of the V6 is not much for the difference in performance. Both cars are great! I test drove several of both models before purchasing my C320 Coupe. The V6 seems more refined, less noisy and not overworked at any speed. Acceleration in the C320 is effortless at all speeds. Certainly the torque and "knock your back into the seat" power are not a lot more pronounced than in the 230k. But the car feels more solid, smooth, refined, and well matched than the 230k did in my opinion. I also intend to keep this car a very long time. The idea of running a supercharged four versus an easy going V6 was a very big factor for me. To me it seemed that a supercharged four was working a lot harder than a V6 to provide the sporty ride I expect. I would hazard to guess that the V6 will last longer, with few maintence issues than the four cylinder. Think of all the thinks that can go wrong with a supercharger, intercooler etc. Also, if a problem does arise - The dealers will be well prepared to fix anything as the V6 is the same engine used in multiple models of mercedes. Not only the C class!!

-Stretch002-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts