Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently aquired a 1982 380 SEL, and it is in excellent condition with only about 75,000 miles.

I have noticed that from time to time the back right side of the car shakes and shimmys a bit usually within the first ten minutes after driving the car from a cold start. It doesnt shake at all during excelleration and then starts in at about 40 Miles per hour. As the car slows down it shakes a lot and feels as if there is a bulge in back right tire....When it does this, it really feels like the back tire is elliptical especially as I decellerate down to a few Miles per hour, as I accelerate from a stop light it stops untill that 40 MPH point, and then starts shaking again untill I completely stop........After about five minutes of this, the shaking stops completely and the car drives fine, no shaking what so ever can be felt.

Does anyone have any idea on what this problem might be? Is there some sort of component that could cause this problem, that switches off after the car heats up or something?

P.S. The car has been sitting more or less for about a year with no street use what so ever, not sure if this makes a difference with my problem, but thought Id mention this as well.

Please help!

Erik

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's very likely your tires have flat spotted. This will cause exactly the symptoms you describe under those circumstances. Sitting for too long is bad for tires. I normally recommend raising the pressures if the car is going to sit (say 50 psi). When the new ones come off the boat, they are 50-60 psi. Obviously, they should not be at those pressures when driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shimmy

CHeck to see if there are any bulges on the tires. My car sat idle for several months and then it developed bulges on the tires after driving. These were fairly new tires too which shows how important it is to drive the car every so often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts