Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my car is an 84 W126 (380 sel) that was always a great daily driver. It would start instantly all the time, the other day i went to start it and it would turn over but not fire up. This has never happened to me before. I let the car sit for about a week before this happened, but i dont think that should affect it.

Does the fuel pump in this car 'prime' before it starts? so maybe i should be able to hear it?

where exactly is the fuel pump in this car?

could it be ignition?

whats a typical problem associated with this year and symptom?

please help, thank you!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There could be a few reasons why your car is turning over but not starting up.
One possibility is that there's something wrong with the fuel system, such as a leaky fuel line or a clogged fuel filter. Another possibility is that the ignition system isn't working properly, for example if the spark plugs are dirty or the distributor cap is bad.Another may be that there's something wrong with the electrical system, such as a blown fuse or a faulty wiring connection.

No, the fuel pump in a 1984 W126 (380 sel) car does not 'prime' before it starts. The way the fuel system works in these cars is that when you turn the key to the 'On' position, a signal is sent to the fuel pump to start pumping fuel. Once the engine is started, the Pump continues to run as long as the engine is running. If the engine is turned off, the fuel pump will also shut off.

The fuel pump in a 84 W126 (380 sel) car is located under the rear seat. You'll need to remove the backseat to access it. There are two ways to do this - either by removing the entire seat, or by folding down the center portion of the seatback. Once you have access to the area under the rear seat, you should see the fuel pump clearly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts