Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1999 CLK 320 which has covered 40,000 miles.

Tried to start the car this morning and just a click sound whenever I turned the key. The lights and all the electrics work including the radio so it cant be the battery. Tried it several times and like I said all I get is a click sound when trying to start it.

Anyone out there have a similar experience or any ideas on what it might be?

ty in advance for any help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would not rule out the battery. It can have enough power to run the lights and radio, but still not have enough power to turn the starter. A clicking sound is a classic low battery indication. I would have the battery tested before looking at other possible problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did check the connections and they are on tight as can be. I am going to remove the battery to charge it tonight, is there anything to be aware of. Will everything work ok after I put the battery back in?

Also how long to charge it for, things not as simple as the old days lol.

Ty in advance for any info :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will probably need to re-set the windows, moon roof (if you have one) and the radio anti-theft after charging. This is fairly straight foreward and is described in your owner's manual. As far as charging time.....depends upon your charging amperage. If I were in your situation, I'd take the battery to Advance Auto or some other commercial venue and have multiple tests done (load, resistance, etc.). They offer this service free of charge where I live. They may even offer to re-charge your unit after testing. If the battery checks out, we'll go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty for the advice but I am in Hungary at the moment and do not have European Cover so I will have to buy a charger and then charge it overnight. Will an overnight charge be enough?

Also how to reset the windows my manual is in German which is where I bought the car.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If your charging it overnight, just set it to a low setting 2-5 amps, and it should be fully charged in the morning, that is if the battery can still hold a charge. Resynchronizing the windows is easy, with the windows all the way up, hold the window up buttons to the first detent for approx. 5 seconds, and they should be synchronized. I can't remember if your vehicle has ASR or ESP, but if it has ESP, you'll get a ESP/BAS warning when you fire it up. Just turn your steering wheel lock to lock a few times to adapt the steering angle sensor and they should go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to say thanks for the help.

I replaced the battery (which must weigh about 25 kilos 8O ) as the car had not been run much during the last 6 months before I bought it and the battery had been in it from new.

No problems with the new battery so thank god it wasnt the alternator :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts