Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 C240 unfortunatly didn't come from the factory with a cd changer. I've been looking online and all I can find are factory units at $600 a pop!!! Are there any other cd changers that will work with the factory radio? If not, I will have no choice but to replace the whole system. I'm NOT going to blow that kind of money on a changer alone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd first check E-bay for a changer; secondly, I'd post this question in the Audio and Electronics section where respondents with more expertise might be able to assist you rather than boneheads like me :D I beleive changing the system would run into megabucks along with a nightmare of wiring problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad on the post in the wrong section. I've checked Ebay, but I just don't trust getting anything from there. I've heard too many stories about people getting a box of rocks or something other than what they ordered. I think I'll call around and find out how big a PITA it is to have a new head unit and amp put in. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked to a friend of a friend that works for a car stereo shop and with the hook up, it would be $350 just to install either a new head unit or a changer. They told me that each speaker has it's own little amp. I need to get a repair manual for this car before I get knee deep in some BS that I don't want. Haven't made a decision on what to do, but am leaning toward the changer.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. If you have a standard stereo with cassette, the amp is in the headunit. If you have a Bose system (there will be a Bose logo on the left package shelf speaker) the headunit is connected to the Bose amp with fiber optic cable. The speakers are connected to the amp with plain old speaker wire.

Replacing the regular headunit with and aftermarket unit is fairly straight forward. You will need a new stereo facia plate since the MB unit is not retangular. You will also need a VW wiring harness and VW antenna cable adaptors.

Changing out a Bose system is much more difficult. Not only will you need the above items, but you will need to replace the speaker (Bose speakers are 2.4 ohms) and you will need to run new wire to all the speakers from the new amp.

Check to see if Steve Krabbenborg at www.mbenznl.com has a changer. I bought a COMAND navigation unit from him and he installed it. He is extremely well respected in the MB community. His integrity is above reproach.

There are only two cd changers which will work in our cars. The factory Alpine made unit, of course, and the out of production Becker 2002 Silverstone, which is to large to fit into the glovebox anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda thought that was BS about each speaker having it's own little amp. I'm going to order an Audio 10 CD head unit off Ebay. Less than $300 with shipping and insurance! Plus, I found complete instructions online on how to install it with pictures and all. Plus, it's NEW!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts