Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I recently purchased a CD player on EBAy. I learned the lingo and got the right model number. I also got great abdvice from someone on the nuts and bolts of the install/ Quite simple really. Just 2 fiber optic cables and a power plug. However, when I hit the cd button on the radio, it just displays "NO CD CHANGER"- Do I need to get the dealer to set a computer code or something? :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings!

I am having the same problem with my '01 SLK. I just bought a 'factory' changer on eBay. Tried to hook it up and go the same message. I did note that their are 3 fiber optic lines - 2 into one connector and one into the other. One cable on each connector is marked 'HU', which I presume is "Head Unit" If that is the case, I am thinking I need to swap the cables around and retry.

I saw something alluding to this during an internet search.

I will advise as I fiddle with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CD Changer Woes

Let me know what year and model car you have and I will l give you the low down on the optics. You will still need to have the dealer set the correct configuration in the audio system to be 100% otherwise you will have a current code in the audio that WILL cause intermittant mutes and other weird things to happen. This is caused by the audio doing self check tests and the Actual and Set configurations being different will cause "glitches". It will work though before you have it programmed.

Benz_Tech

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please explain these glitches

Benz_Tech,

Can you describe some of these glitches? I'm curious if I have a similar problem. A while ago I had the head unit replaced because of a defective display. Since then, the sound system acts funny every once in a while. For instance when listening to the radio, the sound will fade in and out as if I'm losing the signal. While this is happening I can't get the cd changer to engage and start playing a cd, it just goes back to the radio setting. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to correct this problem while it's happening either, the problem just goes away after several minutes and everything is back to normal.

Does this sound familiar to you? Could the tech have forgotten to program the new head unit to work with the cd changer as you have mentioned?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
The dealer must program the head unit to recognize the CD changer. I had the exact same problem, right down to getting it on Ebay. It's a simple 10 minute programming job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CD Changer Woes

Hello,

Could the Tech forgot to version code the radio.... I guess it is possible, but highly doubtful. There is by far too much paper work involved for the tech to do and to get freeze frame data from computer in order to send the radio back for warranty. If there isn't all this info collected and sent in MBUSA will debit the claim back to the dealer and the tech.

What happenes in this case is that the DAS machine is hooked up to your car and the version coding is read into the DAS machine. Then the radio is replaced and the DAS machine will then transfer that information back to the new radio. This should be manually checked as sometimes this isn't always the case that it works 100% Sometimes the version coded doesn't transfer correctly and that is way it "SHOULD" be manually checked after it is done by the tech. It sounds to me like there is a problem in the D2B ring of the car. Do you have a factory phone or voice control sysem?

Whenever you get the radio to display NO CD it bassiclly doesn't "SEE" that device do to whatever reason. By turning the key off and back on again you are resetting the D2B Optic ring. This will sometimes allow that device to work again.

Hope this helps.

Benz_Tech

1 - 7 of 7 Posts