Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've owned my C230 for a month now and I only just ran across the news in the manual that you shouldn't play CD-Rs in the CD changer. Oops. Been doing so since day 1. What's up with this? Will it really damage the unit? I can't believe ANY CD player in this day and age can't play them safely. Seems silly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
huh?

what?

no CD-Rs?

I can't imagine why.

Have you found out anything about this since you posted this?

Id love to know.

·
Banned
175 Posts
I have been playing CDR's for a year now and no problems. I would not worry, just enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What exactly is on the cdr? Is the music in standard audio cda format or is it in mp3 format? If it's an audio cd copy (cda format) there's really no technical reason to stop you from using cdrs. If the music is in mp3 format, or worse wma, the player would require the smarts to handle reading and playing the files.

Now, if MB makes a broad statement about cdr usage in general, it might just be that they don't want to bother testing all the possible cdr brand combos in their players. I'm not sure how the automotive industry handles these cases, but in the computer industry, we only certify what has been tested, documented and is known to work.

I hope this can clarify matters a bit.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Think most CDR's are made from the internet and use the pc to burn in. I have over 40 CD's , thanks to the internet and they work great.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
jeromel said:
What exactly is on the cdr? Is the music in standard audio cda format or is it in mp3 format? If it's an audio cd copy (cda format) there's really no technical reason to stop you from using cdrs. If the music is in mp3 format, or worse wma, the player would require the smarts to handle reading and playing the files.

Now, if MB makes a broad statement about cdr usage in general, it might just be that they don't want to bother testing all the possible cdr brand combos in their players. I'm not sure how the automotive industry handles these cases, but in the computer industry, we only certify what has been tested, documented and is known to work.

I hope this can clarify matters a bit.
The changer cannot play mp3's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh all. Well I'm glad to hear that playing them doesn't do damage apparently. I called my salesman and he didn't know anything about the prohibition in the manual either. I bet you're right -- maybe they just don't want to deal with the compatibility issue at all.

...now if I can only get that volume governor disabled I'd be a very happy camper.

-----------
2003 C230K
Metallic Silver
Charcoal Leather
TeleAid
C1,C2,C5
CD Changer
Heated seats
Panaromic roof

Gawd I love this car!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mp3 in MB CD changer

Why can't I play mymp3 discs in my C230K CD changer. I've been in a new civic which can play them but I drive a luxury car and it can't!? Is there any way that I would be able to trade in my `02 changer and get a new one which will play mp3s if they even make it?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Re: Mp3 in MB CD changer

Bluecord2 said:
Why can't I play mymp3 discs in my C230K CD changer. I've been in a new civic which can play them but I drive a luxury car and it can't!? Is there any way that I would be able to trade in my `02 changer and get a new one which will play mp3s if they even make it?

MB uses an Apline changer that was oblsolete years ago and can't decode mp3's.

The only other changer which can be used on the D2B fiber optic loop can't read mp3's either.

There are a couple of ways to get an mp2 changer to work in your car. First buy one that can be connected via an RF modulator. The sound quality suffers, but if your mp3's are compressed a lot you won't notice. The other way is to replace the headunit. You will lose the steering wheel controls, however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I don't think i will be replacing the headunit but the RF compatible changer seams feasible. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts