Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1998 C230 in for her B Service 2 weeks ago, and had the works done (except sparkplugs as they're not due yet). 1 week later the CEL came on. Drove it for 1 day, then took it to the mechanic (not a dealer, but he's immensely trustworthy), and he read the Error Code P0107 (Fuel Trim Malfunction). Checked for leaks and other stuff, drove it around, said probably the O2 Sensor, maybe the Fuel Intake. He reset the error, CEL off. 1 day later CEL went back on. Drove it for 2 days, and it went off by itself, and has stayed off since (for a few days now).

I have noticed decrease in performance, and an increase in general noise while driving, kind of like an off-beat humming, even sometimes a slight clunking. It drove real nice after the B Service, but when the light came on, not so nice anymore. Could be psychosomatic, or could be I'm paying more attention now to the engine noises.

From my reading on this forum, let me say that I:
  • Fill my gas tank to FULL (keep pumping even after it cuts off at about 1/2 tank)
  • Perform all the regular maintenance, oil changes in between (with Synthetic) @ 7,500K
  • Use Esso Supreme gas
Any input?
  • Should I change the O2 Sensors?
  • Or the Air Mass Meter (seeing that it's a common issue for the P0170 code)
  • Or something else?
  • Should I change my gas (Sunoco seems to be the station of choice)?
  • Can I fill the gas tank full, or should I let the gas pump tell me when to quit (usually 1/2 a tank)?
  • Have I done some damage possibly over-filling the gas tank?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That code is associated with the Mass Airflow sensor 90% of the time. I would look into replacement. The issues is the engine and transmission adaptations should be reset after replacing this. It will be fixed without a reset, but the car may not drive right for 500 miles or so as the adaptations are way out of spec (hence the code) and take a bit of time to come back in. The car may not shift right either (for about the same period of time).

Also, never continue to put gas in your car after it automatically stops. You can damage your charcoal canister which can be expensive. If it is not filling all the way, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. As a side note, I found some gas pumps would continuously cut off on my 202 if the nozzle was all the way in. If I left it a tiny bit out, it would work just fine. Some pumps though, not all. Also, I don't have Esso here in Chicago, so i can't comment on their gas. I have very good luck switching between BP (Amoco) and Mobil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts