Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,All...
I'm new to the Forum.....I've got a question about my first Mercedes Benz.
I'm going to look at a 1983 240D MB.It has 168,000 miles on it and the asking price is 2900.00.4speed trans.Said to be in excellent condition.

My question is what do I need to pay attention to when looking at this vehicle.I know the general stuff ,bodyfiller,uneven bodypanels,oil leaks trans leaks,gaskets..etc...

I need to know if there is anything that I should ask or look for in a 240D...Is the price about right,also? Many thanks for any help... SAS:wink:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kind of hard to say if a car is at a good price without seeing it. Check out several online sources in that respect such as edmunds.com or kbb.com

The 240D is basically a non-turbo OM617 engine minus one cylinder in a W123 chassis. Very simple and robust. If you do a search for 300D,W123,OM617 or the like you should find plenty of helpful information. I believe the 240D actually has an OM616 engine...

There really are no inherent flaws with the 240D that come to mind except proper maintenance often being neglected (such as valve adjustment). Make sure the A/C works, as that can be expensive!

·
Registered
78 Posts
SAS,
Welcome to Benzforum.com. Just to add a note or two, to what Cracker 928 said, if this car has a four speed manual transmission, these cars are more desirable than those with the four speed Automatic, and will bring a slightly higher price. The 240d is a very reliable car, but it is by no means a speed demon. One thing I would look at on this car would be around the oil filler cap, look for sign of blow by, (oil around the oil filler cap). Also be careful of the milage, the odometer on these car tend to stop turning, even though the speedometer is still working.

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts