Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly a year of going to this gym near downtown Madison (near the capitol building actually), I quit!! All due to politics/worldviews. The owner is a good enough guy, but most of the members are those quiche eating Volvo driving liberals I cannot stand. Not the blue collar, union guys/gals mind you. These were small time city pols, whiney professors and women's, achem, I mean, womyn's studies grad students. ACK! :x Their martial arts classes are a different story, no problem.

So, even though I have 2 months left on my membership, I joined a gym on the "east side". Talk about low key. No fancy pants "manginas" -- When the owner showed me around we went to the basement and yes!, a boxing ring. This place rocks!! They have boxing classes a few times a week. Hardcore place.

Anyhow, thought I'd vent. I feel better know.

Good ole' Ford's Gym:

http://www.fordsgym.com/

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can understand your feelings Ted, but why dis quiche :D . Thats fine eats that hadn't done nothing to you. Suggest you try a nice crab quiche for diner some night. Quiche...it ain't just for Sunday breakfast anymore.

Mmmmm, mmmmm good, right Rib?

·
Registered
302 Posts
'Round here we don't eat no quiche. Them's for wussies. We call it, "Omellete". And if don't have no meat in it, it ain't fer real men.

My wife doesn't cook much, though she's a PTG cook. She'd just a soon leave it to me, and I enjoy cooking. But hands down, she makes the best quiche I've ever eaten. Spinach and bacon cooked in butter. MmmmMMp! Mais, c'est bon cher!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Years ago I belonged to a gym in the DC area. I couldn't believe it, but they actually had a BAR in the middle of this gym! So I guess you could work out, then load up on carb-rich beer, then take a lady home with you.

Go figure.

Now I belong to a pretty decent gym. There are definately some there just trying to meet people, but I'm more of the type to get in, work out, shower and leave. I don't need to socialize when I'm trying to lift.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a gym here called "Heroes" with a bar.

Lots of lights and silly stuff. Most of the people that went there did it for socialization or to show off their latest spandex outfit. It closed last summer and all the machines etc. were purchased by another Wal-Gym.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're coaches (old boxers)

Bob Lynch's nose isn't really a nose. It's just a mass of tissue! 8O

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sflori said:
Years ago I belonged to a gym in the DC area. I couldn't believe it, but they actually had a BAR in the middle of this gym! So I guess you could work out, then load up on carb-rich beer, then take a lady home with you.

Go figure.

Now I belong to a pretty decent gym. There are definately some there just trying to meet people, but I'm more of the type to get in, work out, shower and leave. I don't need to socialize when I'm trying to lift.
Health clubs aren't a bad place to meet women. A little less threatening than a bar, but not nearly as innocent as the grocery store or church! :)

Which club is it?

I used to belong to a small club near the Potomac in Alexandria. I lived in the Port Royal condo complex (North Pitt Street, right off the GW) so could walk down the street towards the river. The name of the club escapes me now. Oddly enough it was never busy. Lame place I suppose. I didn't do a lot of weight trainging in those days, just jogging. Gotta do that if you live in the DC area. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have belonged to the Y and other places (usually college or hospital health clubs) but have never progressed to the point of joining a World's or Gold's or such. However, a lot of those guys want to kick my ass--I had a custody case a couple of years ago where this meathead was shooting up steroids into his stomach in front of his 12 year old daughter.

After some investigation, I learned that he was ordering them off the internet. The company had some innocuous tag on your credit card bill like "XYZ Health Food Consortium." These were the illegal iv steroids and once I started interviewing gym rats, all of the guys were doing it and pointing fingers. Some spending $10K a year over the net for the little vials!!

Maybe I am naive, but I thought that stuff got sort of out of vogue in the early nineties when the old body builder's voices started to change 8O

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My gym sponsors drug free, aka natural contests. So they actually drug test. Problem is how much time before the comp? How long does the drug stay in the blood stream? I have no idea.

Winning=$, so some will do anything to achieve that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The guy ultimately admitted his 'roid use, so I never went down the road of the toxicology report. These guys weren't in competition with anything but a mirror and tape measure. All of them had sexual disfunction. They all would get together at each others businessess and compare products, drink beer and measure their biceps. I can't imagine a scenario where that would be fun. To me, it was an eerie education into a world I just ddidn't know anything about.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Not being passionate about athletics in any way save for Sunday (and Monday night) football, I had no idea as to the widespread use of such drugs until I went to college (this was a few years ago). My eyes were opened quite quickly watching the rampant distribution of steroids and other such substances in my fraternity house. It was so commonplace that no one even seemed to think much of it. It was almost like having a beer as a freshman; something that people understood they shouldn't be doing legally, but harboring little concern for any of the ramifications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts