Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the air filter to a K&N filter on my 2003 230k sedan.
The intake system is different than the one I had on my 1999 230k sedan.
Anyone changed out this filter yet?
What's the procedure. The housing seems to have all torx head bolts. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would love to hear any comments on changing over to k&n since this is also what i wanted to do

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You will not gain one bit of power with the K&N filter. Also, you will noticabley shorten the life of your already trouble-prone air mass sensor. It is very likely that you dealer will be able to find filter oil on the sensor when they take it off as it has malfunctioned, and not warranty it due to the installation of a non MB part. You can add whatever aftermarket part you want provided it doesn't cause the failure, which in this case, it does. The K&N marketing machine is a juggernaut. Don't waste your money. No more airflow than stock, potential warranty issues, more dirt particles in the engine and more money. But hey, it comes with a sticker!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the strong emotional response the K&N myth seems to illicit in internet forums. It's like your insulting some one's deepest held religious beliefs when you tell them they have frivolously spent money on a snake oil product. I have yet to see one convincing dyno run showing any benefit on real world street cars. I have however, seen air mass sensor elements coated in filter oil that caused them to fail and thereby cost the foolish owner of said vehicle to have to cough up up to $700 to repair the damage their wonderful little filter caused to their car. I am one of the most "look the other way" service consultants on the planet when it comes to mods on cars. Unfortunately, I am charged for bounced warranty claims, which an oil coated air mass sensor will undoubtedly be, so the decision is made to charge the customer, regardless of their warranty status.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you buy a K&N air filter (a drop in that is), it clearly says allover the packaging, and instructions, that the drop in filters in NO WAY void any kind of warranty. Personally, I’m think you can’t gain more then like 2 HP with a drop in, but what the heck. 1-2 HP is 1-2 HP, and its fun. I also had a K&N drop in on my old car (99'C230K) for over 60K miles with no problem. My good friends work in the service in MB of Miami, and have never heard of ANYTHING going wrong from a drop in filter. That is unless you destroy something installing it. But how hard can a drop in filter be to install? Anyways, if you want to drop in a K&N or ITG filter because it helps you sleep at night, go ahead. But don’t expect a 10 HP gain.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's not the filter, it's the consumer's tendancy to over-oil said filter. The filter will not void any warranty, but if the oil from the filter is found contaminating a delicate sensor element, it will void the warranty on that particular part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PHAEDRUS242 said:
It never ceases to amaze me the strong emotional response the K&N myth seems to illicit in internet forums. It's like your insulting some one's deepest held religious beliefs when you tell them they have frivolously spent money on a snake oil product. I have yet to see one convincing dyno run showing any benefit on real world street cars. I have however, seen air mass sensor elements coated in filter oil that caused them to fail and thereby cost the foolish owner of said vehicle to have to cough up up to $700 to repair the damage their wonderful little filter caused to their car. I am one of the most "look the other way" service consultants on the planet when it comes to mods on cars. Unfortunately, I am charged for bounced warranty claims, which an oil coated air mass sensor will undoubtedly be, so the decision is made to charge the customer, regardless of their warranty status.
I posted this thread so everyone can get another look into this airfilter dilemna which is always being tossed around on the forum. I was shocked and surprised about the facts that were listed about the different types of air filters.
Even if I don't gain a single HP, at least I'll rest assured that my engine's inwards are as free as possible from any unnecessary dirt/grit by using an ITG filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
valuable intake input

thanks for the info guys. i was heading off to the auto store but decided to check the forum for replys to the k&n post. WOW! im definately swinging away from the k&n after reading all the responses from this site and the other one that was posted. my priority is engine longevity over performance. i live in southern cali and drive to vegas several times a year. sand/dust storms would just hammer the insides of my car if i got cought in one. guess i will now look into alternatives that will be a lower risk to voiding my warranty. maybe pullys??? but that also seems like a very invasive modification when compared to just dropping in an air filter. i was going to buy 2 of these filters today (one for my wifes infinigi g20). you just saved me 100 bucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go ahead and buy them. You have to keep in mind that everyone on these forums are conservative to the EXTREAM!! If there is a .001 chance of voiding your warranty everyone is going to trash the idea. Drop it in. Trust me you will be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I was not thinking and just purchased a K&N for my 2004 C230 Sport Sedan. I installed it 10 minutes ago and went for a test ride and found the engine made more noise and I couldn't tell any difference at red line. I came back in the house and decided to try and find a forum and found you folks so I joined and guess what?? You are the place I should have checked first. I read the posts and went right back out and removed the K&N and reinstalled the factory filter. Does anyone think I did any damage during my 2 mile drive? By the way thanks for the info everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts