Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group,

I did a quick search and could not find the answer to my question. My brake lights are out and I followd the vague instructions on taking the bulb carrier out. The bottom portion comes loose but something is holding the top part.

I took it to the dealership to look at it. The advisor tried to take it out and it would not come out. He said he thinks the seal may have been baked onto the bulb carrier. He told me for them to do it, they will have to charge me.

I don't want to pay to replace a light bulb. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? It says to pinch the release together and the carrier should come off, but it doesn't.

Any ideas of what I can do? There are three bolts holding what I think is the taillight assembly together. Would it be a good idea to take that apart to see?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

--Rick

·
Registered
678 Posts
Alot of times the brake lights melt the housing. That's probably why the bulb carrier won't come out. Just to warn you, you might be looking at a new tail light assembly. Still under warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zewerr. That is exactly what happen. We took the four bolts holding the tail light assembly out and was able to wiggle it out of the plastic housing that had melted around the metal shield behind the brake light.

Then we just took a razor blade and shaved around the plastic to make it fit when we put it back together.

I appreciate the help.

--Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts