Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 C230 Kompresor and I had a steady check engine light for about 2-3 weeks straight. Not all of the time but sometimes if I'm idle the car will shake, but if I turn the car off and back on it won't shake anymore. I took it to the dealer to run a diagnostic on it and they said that oil was leaking so they fixed it. The next day the check engine light came back on and ever since then the light comes on and goes of every other day and it still shakes every so often. I took it back to the dealer and the light wasn't on when the diagnostic was ran but the tech said he saw a similar issue and the car had a bad valve but he said that it couldn't be replaced alone and the whole head would need to be replaced which would be about $5,400. I don't want to pay that much money for that if he isn't sure, but from talking to people I am not sure thta is even the issue. I also don't understand why they didn't find it when the diagnostic was ran a week prior since the issue was never resolved. Has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks in advance.

I similar issue last year where the car would have a rough idle all of the time so they replaced the O2 sensor, so I don't think that's the same issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the same problem, they quoted me $6103 for repair of the head. I think the gas cap gasket is leaking and needs replacement. The ethanol has made it shrink and warped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took the car to Midas and had them do a diagnostic on it and it read that cylindar one is misfiring an the cooling temperature is lower than the regulating temperature so I had all of the spark plugs replaced and guy who used to work on Mercedes was supposed to look at it but he is a flake so I found a local dealer that specializes in foreign cars to have them look at it. After talking to people I have a feeling that it may be the thermostat which I ordered and will have replaced next week. I guess if this doesn't work I will take it to the dealer again to go ahead and replace the head or do more research.

I have not had any problems with the rough Idling in quite some time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A bad cylinder head is a very common problem that'll cause misfires on your particular engine. The head was designed with poor valvetrain geometry, causing premature wear on the valve guides, not allowing the valves to seat and seal correctly. The valve geometry on the new heads have been changed alittle in attempts to prevent future problems. It's the main reason MB discontinued using a 271 engine after only 3 years.

I really don't think just a thermostat is going to fix your problem, unless it's been stuck open for a long enough time that your engine started building up excess carbon in in the combustion chambers or on the valves. If that's the case, it might be possible to burn out the carbon by getting the engine up to operating temperature and driving the snot out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cooling system

A bad cylinder head is a very common problem that'll cause misfires on your particular engine. The head was designed with poor valvetrain geometry, causing premature wear on the valve guides, not allowing the valves to seat and seal correctly. The valve geometry on the new heads have been changed alittle in attempts to prevent future problems. It's the main reason MB discontinued using a 271 engine after only 3 years.

I really don't think just a thermostat is going to fix your problem, unless it's been stuck open for a long enough time that your engine started building up excess carbon in in the combustion chambers or on the valves. If that's the case, it might be possible to burn out the carbon by getting the engine up to operating temperature and driving the snot out of it.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I did have the thermostat replaced and it was in fact broke so I'm happy I did that. While having the thermostat replaced another issue came up with a hose that is leaking. I beleive the the hose goes to the reservoir, but I am not sure the name of it so I'm researching it now to see what it is so I can buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad head.

Hi. There is nothing wrong with the head. It's only a dirty valve who does not travel all the way to close up. You should go to a mechanic nd tell him to take the heads of the engine and clean them or change them.This is caused by not driving properly the C230 model. You should always put Premium gas in it and drive it on Hi revolution about 3500-4000RPM.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. There is nothing wrong with the head. It's only a dirty valve who does not travel all the way to close up. You should go to a mechanic nd tell him to take the heads of the engine and clean them or change them.This is caused by not driving properly the C230 model. You should always put Premium gas in it and drive it on Hi revolution about 3500-4000RPM.:)
Hi. I'm not sure if you were referring to my issue or the last person that had issues with their gas cap, but I am not longer having any issues with my car. I replaced the spark plugs, thermostat, and purchased a connector for the leaking hose and I haven't had any issues since then. Also, Premium gas is the only thing I use in my car. I'm not really sure ow you drive on hi rev without speeding in at times, and I really don't want anymore sppeding tickets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts