Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!! I own a 99 ML430. My CHECK ENGINE LIGHT has come on. I was sitting in a parkeing lot with the truck on drive and it all of a sudden turned off. I took the key out and put it back in and the car would not start. It would just crank but not turn over. I waited for about 15 mins and tried again but this time it started. The light is still on. I plan on taking it to the shop so they can read the codes. Will this that tell me whats wrong? Does anyone know what might be causing it? Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Need to see the codes, otherwise it is just a guess, which really does not accomplish much. Post the faults that are present and I can help you narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that AutoZone has a machine that will be able to produce the codes, is that true?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
They are able to read out any OBDII codes for you. This would be an excellent place to start. They cannot however read out the more detailed MB sepcific codes for the indivdual modules. For the purposes of diagnosing a check engine light, it is very likely their services will be adequate.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a mass airflow sensor as the rewuired fix. Pretty common malfunction on all MB (and German) cars, and that would give you that code. There are a series of adaptations that need to be reset using the MB STAR tester to do the job right (it can be done half assed at home quite easily). The dealer is your best option, but I can walk you through a way to eventually get it right without paying the labor charge. I'm pretty sure our sponser, www.importpartsonline.com will have the sensor in stock now. Whatever you decide, let me know and I'll try to get you through it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check Engine light

This is my last question. I hope!!! I was wondering what are the chances it could be my battery? Reason I ask is because when I went to start my truck the battery was dead. I gave it a jump start then drove it for about 15 min. Two days later, I try starting it and the battery was dead again. This whole thing started one day when I was driving, pulled in a drive thru to get some food, parked and all of a sudden the truck died. I tried to start it but It wouldnt turn over. It would just crank. I do not want to go to the dealership w/out some knowledge of what could be the problem. Thats why I am asking a lot of questions. Dealerships around this area(Arkansas) are known for taking advantage of people. Thanks for all the help!!! I have an appointment next Wednesday. I will let you know what was the cause. I hope!!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If it cranked at normal speed but would not start, the battery is probably not the problem. If it was a slow crank or a clicking sound when the key was turned, I would probably go ahead and replace the battery. Let me know what the dealer down there tells you and we'll decide if it sounds like a likely failure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check engine light

Thanks for all the help. It was the Mass Air Flow sensor that was bad. Big ups to Dave at Jones Mercedes. He was a lot more helpful then that jerk manager.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought my truck was fixed. Not!!! I was driving my truck for about 45 min and it just died. It has done this about 5 times and everytime its after driving it for a good 30-45 min. The dealership told me it was the Air Mass Sensor, I changed that but it still does the same thing it was doing before. The only difference is the check engine light does not come and has not come on. I need some super help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The adaptation data needs to be reset. This will eventually happen on its own, but it will require some mileage to build up. This is the exact reason I always recommend having this repair done at the dealer. Myths regarding disconnecting the battery will only make you have to input the radio code. Get some mileage on it and put a little bit of extra right foot down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did have the work done at the dealership. They reset the codes and all I did was install the new part. I did that before I took it off the lot. I thought it would all be fine. I have put around 100 miles on it since then.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
They reset the codes but that does not mean the adaptation values were reset. This is done in a totally different screen much farther into the diagnostic process than simply reseting trouble codes. Continue to drive it for another 400 or so miles. it will probably run a little weak and maybe even shift erradicly. The proper process for readapting the engine and trans takes about two hours and a very specific roadtest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My truck has been at the dealership for 2 days now. They called me and told me they have know idea whats wrong with it because the check engine light is NOT on and the computer isnt coming up with anything. I have told them about reseting the adaptions but it doesnt seem to be registering with them. They hope to have an answer tomorrow. I just wonder how they could not find out whats wrong or even think about the adaptions. They are the techs and have no idea. Sounds like a reason to charge more. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It sounds to me like the technicians may not be as qualified as I'd like to believe them to be. It is unfortunate that they are unable to promptly diagnose the troubles with your vehicle. I would give them a bit more time and then possibly take it up with their service director. Obviously, being cordial and pleasent with this person will yield the best results. We deal with a lot of irate customers. A decent, well spoken person with a thought out arguement is always more likely to be taken care of. Keep me posted, I'm quite curious as to what they find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up my truck yesterday. The Manager said to his best GUESS he thinks its the Crank Sensor. They replaced it and from the 100 miles I drove yesterday it seems to be working. Hopefully its a good guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts