Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm visiting a friend and I'm a good distance from home. My CHECK ENGINE light came on earlier today. I don't have my owner's manual with me. Can I drive the 50 miles home or am I going to just have to go to the nearest dealer? The car continued to drive fine after the light came on but I immediately drove back and parked it to be safe. So much for the Vegas road trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks! Ok, I checked them and levels seem fine so I'm gonna risk the drive home tomorrow since I'd rather go to my local dealership. This is a little disconcerting -- haven't had the car 6 months yet so it seems way early to already be having trouble. ack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had that happen 2 days after I bought mine, took it to the dealer, they could not check it at the moment and they said if the car is running fine then it's nothing to big, and that the light can come on for over 300 different things. They tested the car two days later it was the rear O2 censor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
C230K said:
Make sure the gas cap is on tight.
Excellent point. My dealer told me that if the gas cap is not on tight, the "check engine" light can stay on for hundreds of miles. It doesn't 'click' as most other caps. So if it is put on slightly askew, the pump jockey, or you, might not know it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check engine

So I got to the dealership and it turns out my gas cap wasn't sealing properly and they replaced it. Have to say I was impressed with the service and the people. It was my first trip to a Mercedes Service Center and everyone couldn't have been nicer. They even offered me a loaner but luckily it was an easy fix and I was out of there in 2 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts