Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking to upgrade performance, but merely want to change the exhaust tips to something a bit more appealing to go w/ my new '04 C230 sedan's "sporty" look. I've seen some sights offering chrome exhaust tips that screw onto the current exhaust and was wondering if anyone has used them. If so, what's the best place to get them for a good price and how easy are they to install?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the chrome exhaust tips from ForMyMercedes.com and installed it in about 15 minutes. Took about 4 days to get them. You will need some metric allen wrenches but thats all. Just slip them over the existing pipes and there is a bracket that secures to the exhaust hanger. Lined up perfectly. The tighten the four allen head screws on the pipes. Use LocTite on the the threads and presto - youre done.

2004 C230K Sedan Brilliant Silver, Auto, Sunroof, CD Changer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting the tips from formymercedes.com too, but am not too happy with the look after about a month. I'm thinking about removing them now cuz it just doesn't look right. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am considering replacing the 2004 exhaust with the 2004.5 exhaust simply for the look of the exhaust tip, but I assume it would be pretty costly and maybe not worth the money. Also, it looks like they'd either have to cut the bumper a bit to fit the new exhaust or replace the whole thing, so that might make it even more complicated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
'04 Exhaust Tips

A MB salesman told me at the Miami Auto Show that the latest '04 C230 Kompressor Sedan has several changes over the previous earlier '04 and '03. The new brochure confirms the new perforated brake rotors (w/4-piston calipers) and new pedals (to share the C-Coupe racing version) as well as new 5-blade wheels with staggered wheels (even taller and wider in the rear).

Besides a reported new (upgraded) suspension which is tighter and lowered, there is also a new steering wheel with special "10 and 2" gripping mounds.

But the exhaust tips are most intriguing. I'm told the change is more than mere tips, though. The dealership salesman states that the whole exhaust is different with different tubes and sizing to go with the new tips (or "finisher"). He states that he has confirmed this, but the brochure simply states a new "finisher." MBUSA has been known to be inaccurate (both in print and per their html content), so maybe the dealership is correct this time.

I know people will regard this as foolish, but we're actually considering trading in my wife's new '03 C230 sedan (delivered in April) for the latest C230 sedan. I could put more down and get the benefit of a stable resale value on the '03, which has tele-aid, special blue tint and more. The dealership states its the sharpest C230 they've seen and has more options on it than most, so they feel they could get top-dollar by presenting this upon their showroom floors.

We're probably being emotional (and not rational) with this, but the dealership offer is tempting, especially that the new purchase (or lease) would have better terms now because I could place the majority ($20K) down. I guess we're not alone with this notion. Several others have also done this.

Anyway, can anyone confirm the exhaust differential (and/or anything else mentioned) in this regard? New tips, or a completely different exhaust as the dealership swears to?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I kind of doubt that the exhaust is all new. Changing pipe sizes changes the hp and torque curves. It could have a retuned resonator and muffler for a sportier sound.

The suspension uses shorter springs and the car is about 20mm lower. I don't know if the springs are stiffer or if the shocks have been change. I doubt that the sway bars are different. You might consider getting the sway bars for a C32 put on. It is a big improvement in terms of body roll.

The new steering wheel is the three spoke as used on the 2002 and 2003 coupes with the C7 package. This wheel is now standard on all coupes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts