Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've noticed I'm usually driving with my left elbow on the door, and my right elbow on the center compartment thingy between the seats (I call it the gun box). About a year of this has left those two spots with a healthy build up of oil/dead skin/dirt composed tar. It's gross and I'm trying to break this icky habit.

Now to the point: How do I clean this? These surfaces are textured and when I tried cleaning it with some water and gentle rubbing, I couldn't get that grit out from the sunken parts of the texturing...

Also, for the first time since I bought the car a year ago I sat in the back seat the other day when I let my mother in-law drive in an effort to convince her to buy a sweet benz. That's when I noticed that for all of this time, the miscreants that have been sitting back there have been crossing their legs and getting dust and dirt into the back of the black cloth upholstered seats.

I haven't a clue as to what to use to clean the back seat. I think there's even a splotch of gum. Ugh. How do I right these horrible wrongs, assuming that I've already taken care of step one? (killing my friends)

Sorry if these are FAQs, I wasn't making much headway using the search keywords that I thought of...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
For the vinyl surfaces there are a number of products that can be used. But I have found that household cleaners, such as Formula 409 work. Then use a vinyl conditioner, not Armor All or similar products. The best site for car cleaning and detailing info is http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lynn! autopia had just the stuff I needed

I ordered einnzett for the plastics/dashboard and 303 for the seats.

I can't believe how well einzett cut through the grime and ickiness on the armrests (much better than the formula 409). The surface is smooth again but not super slippery. Very good stuff. The fresh scent is actually very understated and not really noticeable at all. I was worried it'd be more like a pine tree air freshener. Very nice.

Oh, and the 303 cleaner I used on the seats... absolutely amazing. I went straight for the tough stain, the splotch of gum. With a little scrubbing the gum lifted out and the seat looks fresh and clean. I'm stunned. All of the dirt and oil and grime even came out of the floor matts.

My poor brother let some guys at the car wash armorall the dashboard in his ML. If only I had gotten the einnzett to him in time...

:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarification: einnzett COCKPIT PREMIUM

in the prior post I just said "einnzett" which I think is simply the manufacturer's name. The product name is einnzett ("1z") COCKPIT PREMIUM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts