Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1991 190E. I would like to clean the interior and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cleaning the leatherette seats. I don't want to damage them as they are in remarkably good condition. Any cleaners suggested? Anything to avoid?

The same applies to the headliner, which has some dirt smudges. I would like to get them off, but don't want to discolour it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
for the leather, Lexol orange bottle is the cleaner, Lexol brown bottle is the conditioner. The creme de la creme conditioner is Connoly, it is rather expensive. Not sure what the "headliner" is, but "2001" or the lexol orange works well on just about anything except for wood.

I have used all sorts of leather conditioners, just keep them moist, soft and they will hold up nicely.

For the wood, I use Pledge or any furniture polish, just apply it then buff it out with a dry cloth, it really shines. GL w/it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willy2004 said:
for the leather, Lexol orange bottle is the cleaner, Lexol brown bottle is the conditioner. The creme de la creme conditioner is Connoly, it is rather expensive. Not sure what the "headliner" is, but "2001" or the lexol orange works well on just about anything except for wood.

I have used all sorts of leather conditioners, just keep them moist, soft and they will hold up nicely.

For the wood, I use Pledge or any furniture polish, just apply it then buff it out with a dry cloth, it really shines. GL w/it.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to find the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. The headliner you were asking about is the ceiling fabric/plastic. It has some smudges that look like greasy fingerprints and I'd like to clean that off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it is carpet, use the Resolve as Lynn suggested, great product. I have used other carpet cleaners as well with success. I stick to the "foamy" kinds. I tried 409 most recently and it worked fine.

I touch the (black) buttons with 2001 for a shine PRIOR to hitting the wood with Pledge (furniture polish) because the 2001 is not good on the wood. It will leave an unattractive dull finish on the wood that will shine up again with Pledge and elbow grease.

I also hit the plastic shield covering the odometer with 2001, seems to work well.

Once in a great while, I take my seats out and vacuum underneath them, clean/lube the seat rails, etc... then clean the carpets. My car has four seat mounting bolts and some electric connections underneath the seat that sometimes require a screwdriver to pry apart. If you decide to take the seats out, don't forget about the rails that slide through the seat belts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts