Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp seems sort of hard to control. I turn it up, but it might get cooler. Other times it warms up. Is there a way to calibrate this?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
there is no calibration for the system. check the coolant level to make sure it is full. it is possible you thermostat is sticking (an inexpensive, easy repair) or the climate control pushbutton unit itself is malfunctioning (not likely, but possible).

·
Registered
584 Posts
You don't really unstick it, just replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called a dealer to get a price, and he told me that the climate control has no relationship to the themostat.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not directly.

The thermostat controls the cooling of the engine. When the thermostat is stuck open (as mine is), the engine runs cooler. When the engine is runnig cooler, there is less heat to transfer from the cooling system to the passenger compartment. This will co-incide with a lower (cooler) reading on your engine temp guage.

This is not the only thing that can cause trouble with your heating, but it is the most common.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This seemed to be a foreign concept to the service dept at the dealer. Do you have any ideas as to what I should do? Can I replace it myself?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm not familiar with your engine, but thermostat replacement is typically a relatively easy job on most cars. This usually involves draining your cooling system (which should be flushed evry couple of years anyway).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts