Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Ihave a 1982 MB TD that will not start in cold tempperatures under 32 degrees farenheight, unless it heated up via an electric heater that it comes with. Is this a manufacturer's design or is something quite wrong with this car?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good oil and a strong battery are essential. Synthetic oil is recommended, and a repeating the glow procedure before cranking the engine will help. Cold starting problems are simply drawbacks of diesel ownership, which is why the block heaters are so popular. When you start the car, you can use that mysterious little knob under the guages to turn up the idle until the engine is warm.

HTH,

Neil

·
Registered
172 Posts
A strong battery, yes, and I use the Bosch glow plugs. Bosch came out with a plug that is especially good for cold weather. My guess is that you have a weak battery and/or crappy/faulty glow plugs.

When I had a new battery and new glow plugs, I was starting my car in minus 10 F with no block heater. This winter (a year later), my coolest starts were about minus 5 F. I don't claim to have done any scientific research, but I can say that a new battery and new Bosch plugs made a huge difference. Somehow, I was dumb enough to put in Autolite plugs a few years ago...might be fine in California, but not in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In addition to good battery you might try some fuel additive. Look for a diesel additive that prevents gelling and removes accumulated water. I bought some at my regular diesel station (they sell a lot of diesel) and I have seen it at walmart also. Our 98 never failed to start until a very cold and windy night this winter. It cranked but wouldn't fire until the next day when it warmed up some. I had never used an additive until then and think after 7 years I accumulated some water (yes, I've changed fuel filters) or got some bad fuel.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts