Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 450 SL 1980 that will not start at 40 degrees or below.
I have new injectors. rebuilt the intake. installed new aux air valve. install new cold start module. Warm up compensator replaced. and have had it to a Mercedes EXPERT and he can't find problem. Living in Alaska makes it difficult at times to start during cold weather. One car is running it is just fine. Cold is will run for 2 or 3 sec and stop. I would really appreciate any and all information from users with same problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would definately go the route of the block heater. Some cars just don't like to start in the cold as they get older. I would make sure you are using a light weight oil as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
450SL

Block heater is very good idea however, If it is in a parking lot more than 20 minutes I am dead. As for Oil, I am using 5W. Torque, well there is no problem getting the engine to turn over. It just wont stay running. Thanks so far withthe suggestions. Got any more?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Check the basics, as I'm sure your tech probably has, but make sure the ignition system is in tip top shape. Verify that your CIS system is not leaking anywhere (EHA). Those carss are known for having the fuel distributors go bad after some time (mileage not necessarily a factor, age is the main one). It's difficult in an area such as yours as the saturation of these types are cars is very small and there aren't a lot of well-trained personnel. This really sounds like something that needs to be looked at first hand by some one familiar with your specific model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts