Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July I have participated in a discussion where some people noticed that using the AC doesn't affect at all the gas millage of a C230. We concluded that C230 has a great design.

However I am having a little trouble with Montreal's cold weather. When the temperature drops below 20F the gas millage decreases a lot. Usually I am getting around 28mi/g during the summer. However these days I only get 20mi/g and I have to drive "carefully". If I drive fast I only get 15mi/g !!!

My clonclusion is that mercedes is a great desert car and loves heat. In the Middle East countries there are plenty of MB. However in the North you don't see any ...

Am I right ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are My Neighbours Stealing My Gas

Hey I knoticed that my C280 gas mileage is about as crummy as my dads V8 Jeep, I was wondering what the average distance is that you get on a full tank of gas, I was hopeing for around 450 to 500Km but i rarely get 325Km, i also knoticed that when its in W mode it gets much better gas mileage but still around 350Km or less any thoughs,

Are my neighbours stealing high octane gas?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert on gas mileage (OK I do, but I'm really not one), but I do keep track of mine, and I'll offer some observations/advice:
1. Colder weather will effect your mileage (but shouldn't be as bad as you are experiencing). Cold air does not atomize as well in your engine and thus does not burn as efficiently.
2. Keep in mind that your tire pressure will decrease in cold weather. You lose about 1 psi for every 10 degrees. During winter you should check them more often and keep them at least at spec or a bit above. Low tire pressure is the death of gas mileage!
3. You generally run the heat all the time (as opposed to A/C sometimes in summer). The heat system uses the A/C more than you think.

I get between 24.8 - 26 in winter on average. I have a 2002 with the bigger engine too. '03 and '04's should be even better. I live in Delaware where the average winter temp is probably in the 30's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK, here are my stats... ready?

Avg miles driven between fillups: 339.9
Total number of gallons used: 987.0
Avg price/gallon: 1.571
Total cost of gas: $1,550.34
Avg MPG (calculated based on pump info): 26.89
Avg MPG (from car's computer): 27.29
Avg total distance on a tank (to empty): 440.92
Avg cost per mile driven: $0.0580
Average speed (all miles): 52

I have had the car for exactly 1 year, and it is just shy of 27,000 miles.

When put into a line graph, my mileage looks like a frowny face, with the summer months being in the middle (the best mileage). Yep, I'm so anal retentive that I keep a spreadsheet. I'm a geek. 8)

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 winter gas mileage

Yup! I agree with Beavis. All cars use more gas in winter. In the colder climes, the idling and warmups help to keep down the mpgs too.

al

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just up graded to some bosch platnium 4 spark pulgs and I am quite happy with the new mileage of my car its been -10 all week I will post what I got with a full tank of gas when it runs out, I have been going for a week now I went 150 Km on a quarter tank. I cant wait till it gets warm to see the real mileage

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is normal that a car uses more gaz in cold weather. The average is around 10%. However my MB uses 30% more !!! Is that normal ?
Am I the only one having an MB in the North ?

I think that MB loves the heat more than the cold ... am I right ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts