Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I am still running the Delo 15W-40 that I normally run and am worried it's too thick. 10W-30 sounds ideal but do I/should I use a diesel specific 10W-30 (which I haven't been able to find) or stick with what I have or is 10W-30 10W-30 and run it regardless of what its made for?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Basically, thinner is better for cold weather starting. But, without know your conditions, I can only point out that there is a section in the owner's manual with oil weights and temperature ranges. Most oils bought now will be appropriate for diesels as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best oil for cold wheather is synthetic. What ever oil you use make sure it is diesel rated if not don't use it. I prefer Mobil 1 15w-50 or Delvac 1 5w-40. Either will allow the engine to crank over almost as fast as summer. Amsoil, and Castrol makes that 5w-50 semi-synthetic. That seems like good stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
cold weather oil

I use M-1 0w40 in my 1979 300SD. I don't have a block heater and I live in Northern Michigan. She always starts even in cold weather. I run Redline diesel additive as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
how cold is it getting where you live?

I started a thread in this forum entitled "cold weather starts" or something close to that. I asked for war stories re cold weather starts. I started mine in -10 F with no block heater.

A fresh battery and fresh glow plugs really help.

Well, if you are having trouble starting, go through the cold weather start procedure in the owner's manual. I can post it if u don't have your manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts