Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me, I need to know how to bypass the safety cut out which disaales the video screen on my 2003 E class COMAND DVD video player. I do not want the screen cut out to kick in above 5mph. All help gratefully received.

·
Registered
2 Posts
see if u can find a blue/white wire behind the command center, this is a vehical speed sensor wire, if it is theere u can cut it and isolate...
by the way how did u end up with a dvd unit??? :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Cutting the speed pulse wire will not enable you to play the DVD while moving. It will screw yo the navigation system since it uses the speed pulse in the dead reckoning part of the navigation computations. Dead reckoning is used when you can't receive a sufficient number of satellite signals.

W211's have the dvd based COMAND's. Harman/Becker headunits and Siemens navigation units.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speed sensor inputs

I just sold a different make auto that have a multi-function display, navigation, phone controls, and video display. All the systems basically were locked out when the vehicle was moving. As was mentioned here, the speed sensor was the determining factor for each of the subsystems. I was able to successfully wire in independent toggle switches for the speed sensor inputs to each of the subsystems, thus allowing me to activate control of each locked out subsystem at will while driving. The speed sensor input is typically picked off in multiple wires and independently routed to each module. Separate line switches are likely to be needed.

In my particular case, interupting the speed input to the Navigation system allowed me time to enter a destination while driving. The car's computer did, however, override my override after about 2 minutes of no speed input, which was interesting. It didn't "screw anything up" since the system re-triangulated my position the moment I flipped the switch back. The overrides for video and phone controls had no ill side-effects.

Ultimately, I strongly suggest the switch approach rather than a total disable. You may also want to discreetly mount the switches out of view of your dealer's service staff, to avoid warranty discussions.

Mark
02 CLK320

1 - 7 of 7 Posts