Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a '98 E320 Wagon (used) with Michelin Pilot MX Energy tires on it. While I'm used to driving smaller cars, I never expected this wagon to handle like, well, a station wagon. I'm sure that a part of it is getting used to the "boat-feel", but the tires have to be contributing to it as well. Has anyone had experience with the ContiExtremeContact tires on their E320 Wagon? They seem to get good reviews on tirerack.com for cornering and traction (two things I value).

Any other suggestions for an all-season tire with improved cornering and handling?

-TPh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires for Estate

Just acquired e3204 for wife. Tire choice at this level is personal preference. Anything too high performance will be noisy and harse in this huge vehicle. Personally, not taking the family wagon to the track.

Ours has michelin mxv4's that are wearing rapidly on outer edge. this model has some suspension issues that contribute. i plan on replacing with michelin pilot a/s AND will have MB shop check the suspension to avoid premature wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ContiExtremeContacts are now on my wagon and the handling of the car has improved noticably. I had heard that these tires were a bit noiser than most, but I haven't noticed more noise than the previous somewhat worn Michelins. While I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow as of yet, they do give me a bit more confidence in the rain.

These tires are considerably cheaper than the Michelins that were on the car when I bought it. That, together with the improved handling, has made it a good choice. How long they last will be the last piece of the puzzle as to whether I purchase them again.

Cheers-
-TPh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually did look at the Turanza by Bridgestone because that is what my spare tire is - and the spare looked brand new. So, I was considering getting three Bridgestone's to match it and then using one of the least worn Michelins as the spare.

In my market area, the Bridgestone Turanza was about $50 more per tire!!

The ratings on tirerack.com were similar between the Turanza and the ContiExtremeContact, with the ContiExtremeContact getting better marks for snow traction. Again, the real test is wear, but I figure that it is worth taking that test when I save $200 (when buying 4 tires).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts