Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got thru completely overhauling the AC (R-12), replaced compressor (Nippondenso), drier, etc., recharged with 2.1# of R-12. Cools like dandy for a while then compressor turns off. If I stop and shut off "ignition", it will restart and work fine for a while. All pressures are fine for the ambient temp.

I note that the cooling fan is inoperative. I have not measured continuity on clutch magnet yet (got rained out) or put 12 vdc on it to see if it will click. I have searched for the cooling fan thermo-switch, but M-B engineers did a number on hiding it! Or I am repeatedly over looking it. The aux fan works fine.

I suspect that the compressor shutting down and the inop cooling fan may be related(?) however the engine does not over temp per the gauge.

I sure would appreciate some trouble shooting tips.

Bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had a similar problem in my '93 300d when I first got it. The problem had nothing to do with the fan, but the clutch was not engaging. It turned out to be a faulty a/c pressure sensor, located on the reciever/drier. I just jumpered the switch and the car has been blowing ice cold for a couple of years now.

Since the temp guage is not indicating that it is hot, I would be more inclined to check this possibility out. Be warned though, that this is a safety feature to prevent compressor failure in the event of gas loss.

I do not recall if there was an affect on the cooling fan operation.

-Neil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts