Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct operating temperature of a '85 300 SD, in celcius like the guage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i figured this one out too. a little above 80'C seems good. Thats what hte car likes being at now that i changed the thermostat. I have heat again!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Am I running too hot?

I have an '83 300D-T, and it's "normal" operating temperature is about 100 degrees celsius. I think this may be a bit high. Please, can anyone tell me if I'm correct? If I am, are there any suggestions on what I can do to bring the temp down?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '83 300D-T, and it's "normal" operating temperature is about 100 degrees celsius. I think this may be a bit high. Please, can anyone tell me if I'm correct? If I am, are there any suggestions on what I can do to bring the temp down?

Thank you.
tighten your double fan/alt/coolant pump belt, make sure you don't run any more than 50/50 mix, try to see through the core with a light held behind the radiator to see if it's plugged up with dirt or oily grime and make sure the fan clutch hasn't leaked all it's oil out. Spin the fan by hand when the motor has just shut down. It shouldn't turn more than 1/3 to 1/2 revolution. I just installed a 15" flex-a-lite black magic extreme electric fan and removed the belt driven fan. The problem with a belt driven fan is it's output is low at low RPMs' when you need it the most in traffic with the A/C on. Now I watch as my engine temp goes down in heavy traffic instead of up. The fan blows enough air to act as the primary fan in a mustang GT. It has a adjustable thermostat (160 deg.-240 deg.) and A/C relay and it cycles on and off after the engine shuts down. You get an improvment in gas mileage, power and a cooler condenser means cooler A/C output!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts