Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am beside myself with anger, frustration and dissapointment. I was the winning bidder on a nice 190 2.3 16v, a car which came out when I was in high school, a car which i have been hoping one day would fall into my lap, well, long story short, got it off the trailer, turned the key and the temp gauge shot up after only a few minutes. Funny thing is when driven it gets hotter than when standing still. I limped along to my local indie and he tells me this after noon I have either a cracked block or head. junk the car he tells me, sell it off as pieces. cut your losses.

I still have hope the car may only need a new head gasket. But I don't know for sure, if anyone here can offer me some info as to what could possibly be wrong, symptoms:
car overheats, gets hotter if driven, temp gauge goes down when at stand still.
radiator cap off, puffs of steam comes out of the open radiator.
I put on a new radiator cap as the old one would not hold water. Drove the car about 2 miles and it died, I did not see the needle go into the red section of the gauge.
On initial start up white smoke present in exhaust, but disappears after about a block of driving. No weird noises heard from engine, only normal purring of engine. no stumbles, nothing. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'd say pressure test your cooling system and see if you get any leaks. Is there signs of coolant on your oil dipstick?

You have a pretty rare collector's car now. If you can fix it without breaking bank, i'd say go for it. I wouldn't start assuming it's a cracked block or head automatically until you actually find the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would signs of oil be a milky solution in radiator or on dipstick? would that constitute a cracked head/block? Indie said interior of block was awash in coolant, don't know how he could tell without pulling the engine apart.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Milky oil or coolant would indicate that oil is mixed with coolant, whether in the crankcase or in your coolant reservior or radiator. It wouldn't mean that the block or head is cracked. It certainly is a possiblility, but it can also be a sign of a blown head gasket. If you do have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, I'd figure out why, and then go from there. You'll probably will have to tear it apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whew

Hello, I took the car to another indie who diagnosed a blown head gasket. Thanks for your responses and suggestions. I can now look forward to keeping the dream alive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts