Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that when going over bumps (and particularly curbs), my driver's side (rear) makes a crunching/metallic sound. I think that it may be the rear shock. Does this sound reasonable? If so, would I be able to replace this myself? If not, would any shop be able to diagnose the problem, or do I really need to take it to my M-B dealer (which I would definitely prefer to avoid)? The car has around 53K miles.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Most common noises from the rear suspension of a C-class usually is the shocks. I can only remember replacing one pair on a coupe, but I know alot of other people have. You'll have to pull the inner liners in your trunk to access the upper nuts if your down with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I did replace the rear shocks (myself), and the driver's side was definitely bad. The ride is much smoother now, but the noise is still there, when I go over bumps and curbs. I didn't see anything else that looked out of line (bushings, etc.), when I was under the car, so I brought the car to the dealership, and after inspection, they said it's the "rear lower control arm bushing". They quoted me $525 (and the part is only $50!).

First, does this sound like it could be the problem? They said that they won't know for sure until they disassemble the suspension. Although, I certainly don't feel like paying that kind of money on labor, anyway.

Second, if this does sound like the problem, is this something that I can do myself? The fact that I was quoted $475 for labor leads me to believe that it's more difficult than it looks ($475/($110/hour) = 4.3 hours of labor). Do I need to take off the spring to do this? I don't have a tool to compress the spring.

Any insight will be appreciated.

On a side note, I got my hands on the WIS (Workshop Information System) software (version 2005) that is used at the dealership to troubleshoot problems, and it contains detailed information (and lots of pictures) for all M-B cars, I think from 1988-2005. It's pretty neat. Hopefully, it'll come in handy when diagnosing problems and trying to fix them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pete,

I had the same problem on my '02 C230 Coupe, which was covered under the basic warranty. The service guy told me it would have been $395 (cdn). My bill shows a control arm link as well as the bushing, both with n/c under price. This leads me to believe they have replaced the control arm link.

Stephane

·
Registered
113 Posts
The repair is definately one that you can do yourself, and with all the money you save you can buy the specialty tools that you'll need. Then go get a four wheel alignment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Do I need to take off the spring, though? I can't seem to find much information on this (even using the WIS software). What specialty tools are you referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You think you could send me a copy of that software? :p I can't seem to find any service manuals for this car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take a look underneath the car. Chances are, the bushings are in a spot that has tension applied by the spring. If this is the case, the spring must be compressed and removed. The specialty tools are for correctly pressing in the bushings and, if needed, a spring compressor. You will get years of delight from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts