Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really sick about this. In the process of closing a rear door, the corner of a picture punctured/tore a .5 by .5 inch gash in the door panel. The material (leather interior, but the door panel doesn't look like leather) is a bit wavey, and won't lie flat enough for a clean glue job.

Suggestions? Cost of a new panel?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which part of the door panel is it? Is it the soft almost leathery material (MB Tex) or is it a portion of the door panel that is harder?

If it is the MB Tex which I suspect that it is, you can get that piece replaced. Which city are you in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The damage is, as you surmised, to the soft, padded panel. Keep hoping that it will flatten, but the tear continues to be rippled. The interior is gray. I'm in Stillwater, OK, between Tulsa and OKC (but proud to be a Golden Gopher--UofM '77).

·
Registered
172 Posts
GOPHERS all the way, exactly!

Post a pic of your door panel if you can. Do you know how to take it off? It is pretty simple on my car and I am not sure what yours looks like.

The soft stuff is MB Tex and you would not have to replace the entire door panel.

I don't know if it is glue or staples or what it is that secures the material to the hard aspect of the panel. Others will know here I am sure.

If you can't locate a place that has it locally, or if the dealer does not sell it, I am sure that the contact below can get it. If he will not send it to you, post back or PM me and I will grab you some while I am in LA this weekend (Minnesota Nice I guess, lol).

I am not sure if the color fades out with the sun, so it is a bit of a hit or miss on the color. Black is not a likely color to fade. A new piece of pallomino on my car (I am guessing) would be a slightly brighter shade, maybe not.

ALL LISTINGS
Pete's Auto Top and Upholstery
8635 W Pico Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Map Driving Directions (310) 271-5550
Add to Address Book
Save to Outlook

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may also try a little sew kit, match the color and see how it looks.

Draw the needle into the "dots" of the material. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts