Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car 9 days. I new that the day would soon come when it got its first chip in the paint or rock chip in the windshield. On the way back from breakfast this morning some SUV threw a rock and caused a chip in the windshield. :( This chip is right where I have to look through the glass on the drivers side. It's not big at all, but does anyone know what I can do to minimize its appearance?

Thanks ahead of time, and look out for any SUV with a short, blond haired woman, bleeding and passing in-and-out of conciousness - and don't help her either... :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I just hate having someone do something to my stuff. Especially since this item is so nice. I'll take it in on Monday. It's really just a little pinpoint, but you never know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I might be wrong, but as far as I know, here in Michigan it is not legal to repair windshield cracks which are in the drivers portion of the windshield (it is a specific area about 10" or 15" large). I would have to replace the windshield....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
windshield repair update

I thought that I would update anyone reading the post on my windshield situation. I accidentally left my car outside the garage (I know, I know) and it snowed overnight. The chip that was the size of a pin head, was three times as big the next morning.

I called my bodyshop for a recommendation on who they would have fix the windshield - I trust this body shop completely. They were responsible for keeping my last car looking brand new for several years.

The shop that they recommended did not want to fix it outside the shop. Due to better control of the weather inside their shop. I dropped the car off.

In short, they repaired the dink in the windshield. I can't even find it back! I could find the ones back on my last car. But I believe the owner's wanted to do a great job. I'm totally happy!

I did learn some interesting information that makes sense, but I never really thought about it before. If you have a small chip in the windshield (The size of a pin head), It may not be a big deal if you don't see any black in the small chip. If you see black in any part of the chip, your actually seeing the reflection of the edge of the glass next to the laminate between the layers of glass that make up the safety glass windshield.

Once you see the black reflection in the chip, you need to have it fixed immediately as moisture can now penetrate down to the laminating plastic. It may freeze, and expand spreading the crack.

I love my C230, and I plan to have every little item addressed as soon as it is incurred.

Have a good one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts