Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I don't mean elections. The wife is itching for a new(ish) car, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Which of the diesels should go? Both maybe? What to replace with? She has bee wanting a 210 chassis, and I have been thinking '99 e300d, but those are hard to find and the diesel fuel cost almost as much as premium out here (I know, MPG is a factor too). She is also eyeing clk's,saabs,and audi or vw passat.

Any opinions on these cars?

·
Registered
183 Posts
While I don’t have any knowledge of cars you note, perhaps she would really like something that will run with the 928, such as a 500e of the newer or even :wink: recent older generation???

·
Registered
302 Posts
cracker928 said:
....I have been thinking '99 e300d, but those are hard to find ... Any opinions on these cars?
We should have a pool. Take a ticket and stand in line for Narwhal's car.

In a few years he's gonna have to buy a minivan to haul the soccer team and family dog.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've always liked Saab's, but they don't offer anything except a 4-banger and haven't changed much over the years. The car I learned to drive on was Dad's '86 9000T. When I look at the late model 9-5s, the intetior is nearly indentical! Although those Swedes know how to design comfy seats! :)

I don't know much about the Passats, but VW parts prices are quite high. I'd pick up a "Consumer Reports" and/or any other publications with reliability ratings (Edmunds comes to mind as well).

Sort of partial to the 210s-- You could always find a gently used E55 :p or keep hunting for that turbo diesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't buy an E300 now, they are still grossly overpriced. For the price of an E300 with similar mileage, an E55 AMG could be had. If you want the W210 compromise and get an E430. Good gas mileage, plenty of power, and inexpensive to purchase.

·
Registered
156 Posts
cracker928 said:
And I don't mean elections. The wife is itching for a new(ish) car, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Which of the diesels should go? Both maybe? What to replace with? She has bee wanting a 210 chassis, and I have been thinking '99 e300d, but those are hard to find and the diesel fuel cost almost as much as premium out here (I know, MPG is a factor too). She is also eyeing clk's,saabs,and audi or vw passat.

Any opinions on these cars?
What is your budget?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess the ol' 124's get a stay of execution for now. We have agreed that the home improvements are priority right now, so the new car will have to wait until the housework is done. At that time, the truck can be sold, as well as one of the diesels and then we can do the upgrade.

Alias, I like the idea of getting a 500E, but when I put it past her she didn't like the idea of getting a car that looks the same. And and E55 just just too far out of budget.

OM60x, hopefully your idea of waiting a while and getting an E430 will do the trick.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts