Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I have a 1986 5 cylinder turbo diesel 300 SDL and I was wondering if I can use chevron delo multigrade as my oil? I checked the approved MB oil list website and the Delo seems to have only been approved for MB 229.1 and it is not listed for MB 230. Is my car old enough to still use Delo or do I need to go synthetic? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
IrishSetter:

I have not checked the documentation, but I know Delo 400 is a popular oil for our older Diesels. A synthetic such as Mobil-1, Delvac-1, Amsoil would be good choices too.

I believe the 1986 300SDL was produced with a 6 cylinder OM603 engine. The preceeding 300SD and comparable W123 300D Turbos had the 3.0L 5 cylinder OM617.95x engines.

-Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RivermasterNC,
Thanks for the reply. My confusion is with the MB numbering system. The delo 400 clearly says MB 228.3 on it. But how far back does the 228.3 cover? The previous owner was running synthetic, but I like the delo. I just don't want to wreck the engine. Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
191 Posts
IrishSetter:

Have you found Wolfgang's page on oils? Here's a link. I have not completely studied the Delo 400 as I, like your PO, now use Synthetics (Mobil-1 15W50 in the 300SD, 229.1). 228.3 covers cars preceeding the FSS (Flexible Service System) which would cover our Diesels.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

----- Original Message -----
To: "mercedes list" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 1:39 PM
Subject: [MB] additions to the approved synthetic list

> Just a FYI
> There have been several additions to the approved oil list.
> Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.1
> Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.1
> 76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.1
> Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15W-50 229.1
> Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0W-40 229.1
> Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.1
> Castrol Syntec 5W-50 229.1
> Castrol Syntec 10W-40 229.1
> Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30 229.3
> Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 229.3
> Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 229.3
> Stu
Stu is the Technical editor for the MBCA publication THE STAR.

-Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) RivermasterNC,
Thanks, you answered my question. I had searched this forum a few weeks ago and had come across wolfgang's website (I think I found the site because of your recommendation to another forum member... thanks again) and I had copied the oil charts to my hardrive for future reference. It was the charts that were not clear. Still not real clear on 228.3, but at least I know I can use the delo cause its listed, and I'm happy.
I do have another question...I usually change the oil every 5,000 miles in my diesels...at what interval do you change yours? They mention 45,000 km...I would like to be nicer to the turbo and engine. Let me know? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
IrishSetter:

Using dyno oils up until early this year, I changed my oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. Actually I have continued that since switching to Mobil-1, but plan to inch that up to 5,000 based on multiple recommendations that the M-1 should be good to intervals up to 10,000. Although most of my driving is Interstate Highway, I consider it "severe duty" as I normally drive in the 80MPH range when I'm not in stop-and-go traffic. MB recommendation for my car/engine is 2,500 mile interval for "severe duty" dyno oil. I would consider any high speed highway (>70MPH) driving or any urban (stop-and-go, light-to-light) driving severe duty.

I've kept pretty good records of the service and have posted id on my personl web space. I'll attach a graph of the intervals on my car as I have them recorded. There are a couple of spikes. I have to attribute that to my not recording the oil change in the Maintenance Booklet.

The OM603 engine probably has the same interval recommendations as my car. Check the Introduction section of the Maintenance Booklet. If your Maintenance Booklet is full, new ones are available from a Dealer or MBUSA directly at 1-800-FOR-MERC.

-Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RivermasterNC,
Most of my driving is highway also. I will go with the 5,000 interval because I won't find time to do 3,000 intervals. I enjoyed the graph...you sure are good with record keeping. I'm happy if I write the oil changes down so I remember that I did it :)
Thanks again,
Irishsetter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, just the question that I wanted info on. We just got a 1987 300d with 157000 miles on it. The previous owner was using Delo 30weight. In checking the replies here I am not sure which engine I have or if I should switch to 15 w 40 or synthethic? If synthethic perhaps Walmart is the way to go. Any thoughts? thanks, Marc

·
Registered
191 Posts
Marc:

Welcome to the BenzForum. You have a 1987 300D Turbodiesel which is a chassis 124.133 and engine 603.96. Discussions concerning your car will often refer to W124's and OM603's for the chassis and engine respectively.

Mercedes is pretty specific about the approved oils of the vehicles they manufacture. Many enthuiast find this topic to be as important as anything else they do in the interest of keeping their cars in good running order. You will not get a unamious concensus on what the "best" oil for our diesels is. Stay with an approved oil, OE filters and within the intervals and enjoy years of driving with your W124.

In a post preceeding your question is a link to Wolfgang's page which lists the approved oils. Synthetics will generally offer better protection in the way they handle oil contaminants and reduced wear (stretch) on the timing chain. They are considerably more expensive. I'm currently running Mobil-1 15W50, which will sell for around $5/quart. Walmart has it in 5 quart containers for around $22.50 in our area.

Sincerely,
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts