Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new here ,and i do not race my car 2005 C230. However i coming from diferend platform -Mitsubishi 3000 GT ,where i race alot.So i am just curious .Tell your race story if any,pls!!!Thank you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I took my old CLK 55 around Road America, Gingerman and Blackhawk Farms fairly regularly. Car was a little too heavy, a bit tippy in the turns, had a pretty abrupt transition to oversteer. I tore up brakes and tires at an alarming rate and at Blackhawk (which is known to be hard on brakes) I turned the brake pedal to mush after about a 20 minute session. The C is a little bit lighter so with the proper suspension setup it would be a nimble little car. I know Lynn here is an active cone-basher with a car that's been set up pretty well. He would be able to offer better insight into what preperations would be necessary to make a weekend racer out of a 203. My best suggestions would be to start removing anything that is not essential before going out to the tracks. Weight is the killer in this generation of German cars. Of course, coming from a 2+ ton mitsu, you're probably a little more adept at driving heavy cars. :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Phaedrus, this brings up an interesting question. Mitsubishi is canceling the warranties of car which are being used for autocrossing or track days. Subaru did so in the past, but the publicity about it put them in a bad light, so it appears they have stopped. At a recent event, there was guy going around photographing all the Nissans. He claimed to be a bounty hunter who made money sending the pics to Nissan so they could cancel those warranties. Nissan's response was only slightly reassuing but mostly ambiguous. I know of a warranty Mazda canceled on an RX8 simply because the owner posted that he once went 100mph.

What is the MBUSA policy on car used for autocrossing or track days? What is the policy of your dealer? I suspect that my SA knows what I do. He has made comments about the Falken Azenis tires. I don't mention autocrossing and he doesn't ask.

None of my warranty claims could be remotely connected to autocrossing. The roof was replaced. The windshield got a stress fracture while driving on the Interstate before I started autocrossing. Two O2 sensors failed. A window was scratched by the inside door molding. A stepper motor in the AC failed. The warranty will expire on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, i hate to be the "no street racing" nazi, but it's a pretty stupid thing to do. Additionally, you're going to get your ass handed to you in a drag race by most of the ricers you'd probably go up against. The strengths of your car are in other places than straight line acceleration.

As for warranty issues and auto-x, DE, etc., it is all pretty much at the discretion of the individual dealer/advisor. I have a don't ask-don't tell policy of sorts for my clientale. I even see some of them (more of my Porsche clients than MB) at events in the area. Not all dealership employees share my stance on this. The power a twelve pack of Sierra Nevada at the time of write up is extraordinary. It also pays huge dividends too simply be a decent person. All things considered, the Infiniti will not make it to the track until the warranty is inspired (been playing around with an '89 951 as of late).

Oh yeah, and Lynn, I've got an extended warranty company for you if you're not trading her in. Important to file before factory period is up though (lower rate, no inspection). We can get through most of the problems on the C, but damn if those parts aren't expensive (even at my cost!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, this topic go in wrong direction. If you read carefuly my first post i say "i do not race my car 2005 C230." So pls . tell your race story,or if you dont have one ,thank you for reading. 8) This topic is about raceing,wrong or not ,its diferend topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts