Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 mercedes 300DT with @65,000 on it.
Few days ago,after changing oil, oil filter, air filter and adding some fuel injector's cleaner to the tank, the engine does not shut off when I turn off the key. I have to turn it off by the lever on the engine.

Any suggestion on what might have happened??

Thank you

Bill de Rosa
[email protected]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wow! That's some nice low mileage!

The most common failure that causes this is the vacuum servo that is located above (and actuates) the shutoff lever.

(shown here: http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/cherokee/quote.jsp?clientid=importpartsonline.com&cookieid=1DW14EV9Y1KW0YL1D1&baseurl=http://www.importpartsonline.com/&partner=cherokee&year=1985&product=D2020-11537&application=000004561 )

Since this problem is immediately following some underhood work, it could just be that a vacuum line was knocked loose. Look around the areas that you were working on. If you find nothing, then check the vacuum servo with a mityvac.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine not shutting off

Hi Cracker928:

Thank you for your reply; I will check the vacuum servo as you suggest as wellas all the connections.

Is it possible that somehow the transmission operation is affected?? It seems to be shiftingh gear in a rougher way.

Thank you,

Bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, a vacuum leak can make the transmission shift harshly. That, and sometimes a loss of power are often my first indications that I have snagged a vacuum line loose. My most common loose hose sites are around the oil filter and near the brake booster/firewall area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had same problem in a 300D i just bought this summer. it would take 45 sec to shut off.

replacing the vaccum valve was about $90 for the part and then labor added on for my mechanic.

can probably get the part cheaper here at importparts

solved the problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem

I recently bought a 79' 300D and I have a similar problem. The engine shuts off fine except in the morning. I drive about 15 miles to work and it takes a good 10 minutes to get it to shut down. Taking the key out only reduces the idle rpm. Eventually I can take the key out and put it into drive and it will stop. Vacuum problem? Moisture maybe?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Moisture is not likely to be a problem. For what you describe, my first guess would be to check the vacuum servo as described above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts