Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through some online articles and had noticed that various diesel versions of the G-Class have been offered over time ... I was just wondering if any of these were or are available in the United States at any point? As far as I know they only offer the G55 and G500, both gas hogs, these days. I love the look of the G Wagen, but being a diesel girl through and through, I'm not that thrilled about the gas models. Are diesels available in the States? Will they be in the future? I know in Europe they offer a G-320 CDI and a G-400 CDI, or at least that's what I gather.

·
Registered
584 Posts
G-wagens can be found stateside. Mostly from the 70's and 80's, as grey market imports. Unfortunately the re-introduction of the newer ultra plush gas hog versions has pushed the prices on the old ones way up. The older ones are much more utilitarian, though they have the same look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll keep my eye out for the older ones. I don't have the means to buy (or maintain) one now, but it's something I might like having in the future. I'd love to have a diesel Mercedes that I can toss an entire bicycle into the back of someday.

This might be a silly question, but what does "gray market" mean? I can guess, but wasn't really sure.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Grey market means that somebody went to europe, bought a european car, and brought it to the US. This also means that some conversions had to be done to meet US safety and emissions standards. This causes many problems including parts compatability between US spec and euro spec cars, as well as knowing true mileage of the vihicle (since the speedometers are changed out).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts