Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I found a Diesel Mercedes 300 for parts in the paper. If the engine is available I wonder how difficult it would be to swap it into another vehicle (like a Jeep 8) )?

A MB diesel engine in a Jeep would be very cool. 8) The main obstacle I see would be finding a transmission bellhousing (or adapter) to sit behind the engine. I can fab engine mounts, etc.

This may be a wacky idea 8)
-John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hubjeep,
This sounds interesting. I think you have already identified one of the major issues you will face, and that is how to join the motor to the tranny/transfer case. Is the Jeep an automatic or manual tranny? Is there enough room between the radiator and the firewall or would you need to make alterations to the firewall? This could probably be done if you wanted to commit the time and money. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bigbenzman-
There should be plenty of room under the body. The Jeep currently has a straight-6 engine and a manual transmission.

I spoke to a Mercedes mechanic who showed me a diesel auto transmission. The bellhousing and transmission are one piece. I need to use a different transmission (or keep the one I have), (manual) to accommodate the 4-wd transfer case.

Since the auto transmission behind the diesel provides the bellhousing, it may be extremely difficult to find a seperate bellhousing to possibly modify (for another transmission) that will bolt to the diesel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts