Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atlanta was once know for having some of the lowest gas prices around. Not any more. Diesel fuel is now almost the same price as the highest grade of gas... over $2.00 per gallon. This link has some good info on fuel prices: diesel and gasoline price report

·
Registered
584 Posts
Jeez...I would be thrilled if our fuel prices were down to 2 bucks. I just filled up at the best local prices available to the tune of $2.31. I think it dropped to two about two months ago, but only briefly. Thinking about SVO conversion....

·
Registered
20 Posts
WHY?

Isn't diesel fuel a by-product of regular gasoline. If so, why is diesel now more expensive than regular gasoline?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: WHY?

Clark said:
Isn't diesel fuel a by-product of regular gasoline. If so, why is diesel now more expensive than regular gasoline?
Diesel is less refined which means less work to reach the final product. I personally believe that the high price of diesel is an attempt by "big oil" to slowly shift their profit centers from the retail consumer to commercial fleets. Now biodiesel becomes more economically feasible on a national scale. The fuel used by J.B. Hunt alone could salvage over 5,000 independent soybean farmers. America's economy would come back full circle to agriculture, with far less dependence on foreign resources. What really excites me is the prospect of US biodiesel and other plant derived fuels being eventually sold on the world stage. OPEC would be forced to have a CLEARANCE sale :lol: I'd buy a '64 Lincoln and a '69 Camaro just to celebrate!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm with you there, Clark!

I remember reading somewhere that diesel fuel is taxed more, based on the premise that it is all going into heavy trucks which ruin the roads more. Flawed logic to be sure, to which I say charge extra for heavy vehicle licenses and give me my cheap fuel!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Clark inquired:
Clark:

Diesel actually comes off the stack at the same point as heating fuel oil and kerosene (lower on the stack than gasoline). Expect seasonal increases not experienced with gasoline.

http://www.chem.agilent.com/cag/isa/hpi/c1.htm

Also, always remember that you are no comparing apples to apples. Not only does diesel have a higher BTU/gal energy content, diesel engines typically operate at 40-45 percent efficient relative to the 32-36 percent efficiency of gasoline engines.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts