Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, because there seems to be some confusion over the "1.8" badge- even my dealer didn't know why some 2003 models had the badge and some didn't. :(

Could it be that some '03 models (the ones w/o the badge) have the older 2.3L engine? Can someone please clear this up...I've done searches and have come up empty. Thanks in advance :!:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
GJR...

How did you like your Bimmer and what options did it have? I was interested in the 323ci coupe, but was a little disappointed. Tried the tiptronic auto version with sport packII and pretty much every option. Not posting to slam, but genuinely curious.

???
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey SLK2C230K-

I had a '99 323i 4-door with the sport package and manual transmission. I bought it 8 months ago, used, with 36,000 miles. It had decent power with the manual, but I hear that the auto transmission on those cars saps a lot of the power.

It didn't have the premium package, and it disappointed me that without that pricey option this already expensive car didn't come with small details like lights in the visor mirrors, map lights, temperature display, or an interior trunk release, among other things. Most are things that other manufacturers like Honda make standard on their cars, and things that people always noticed weren't there when they got into my car for any length of time.

The leather interior didn't wear very well- this is a known problem with the E46s, they have a lower-grade leather than other BMWs and they show wear very quickly.

Besides that, I was turned off by the number of times I had to visit my dealer for problems- mostly minor ones like the windows rattling like crazy against the rubber seals (even after numerous trips to the service department). All in all, I had 8 trips to the dealer in 7 months.

Then, a few weeks ago, a truck ran me off the road and totaled the car. I heard about the $5000 off MSRP deal that Mercedes was offering on the C230, and after driving it, the decision was easy! 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder if your E46 was build in South Africa? I heard a lot of similar problems with those "N" 323i/325i.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, it had an "M" in the VIN#, so I figured it was built in Munich! The thing is, all the problems I had were "known" problems with the E46, and I guess it didn't help to buy a first-year production model... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts