Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many posts on this message board from people complaining about something breaking or their car being in the shop a lot.

I have ordered a new C230K Sedan and I am starting to get a little worried.

I know that there are problems with all cars but can you all help me and others like me and tell us why we will love our new Mercedes.

I think that there should be lots of replies to this post as I think that there are a lot of fans out there. Please help me to reduce some of my worry about ordering a new Mercedes. I am moving up from a '96 VW Jetta GLS and my wife currently has a '00 VW Passat GLX. We have loved both cars!

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got my brand new C230 sedan this afternoon. Drove 12 km and the glovebox felt on my wife's legs... :evil:

I was in the same situation than you. I was worrying about it. But outside the reliability and construction, the confort, safety, general balance and fun factor is worth it. (It have enough power to have fun and to pass safely, but forget about racing!)

But I'm disappointed with the quality of construction of the car. (Unfortunately, it's a bad tendancy everywhere in the industry)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2003 c230 Sports Sedan that I purchased in June i already have gone 4000 miles and so far I have no problems to speak of. I don't know
if I'm lucky but my experience has really been pretty good!!! I hope
it stays the way it is (crossing my fingers). What I noticed and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, people with problems are the ones who put some mod's in their cars mine is stock and it has been problem free.
Also, I know someone with a 2002 C240 w/ 26000 miles and it too has been problem free! I think this could be a good thread instead of hearing
problems, lets here from people who are satisfied!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had my 2003 Mercedes C230 Coupe for almost a year. I have had no problems at all. Fit and Finish are great, plenty of power, fun car to drive. So at this point I still love the car .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've now got 10 months and 17k miles on the car.

I had two small problems:
1) rattle in center of dash
2) parking brake came out of adjustment

Neither of the problems were enough for me to make a special trip to the dealer, so I had them resolved at Service A. Both are now corrected.

During Service A, the tech took a road test of the car, and observed unusual wind noise. He found a damaged door seal, and this was also replaced under warranty. The car is now silent (it was quiet before).

When you look at the typical C-class problems complained about, notice that there are VERY few problems that are safety related, or that will leave you stranded.

Most problems are related to the power seats, rattles, ABS/ESP errors, etc.

Don't let the grumblings of a few convince you that you've made a mistake. Nobody comes to the forum to post "Another day with no problems", they post when the have a problem.

Enjoy your car, and if you have an annoyance (or a problem), let the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, my problem with my glovebox is a problem of dealer... The guy who prepared my car broke it and didn't tell it. (the moron put his weight on it while it was open rather than to sit on the seat to reach the central part of the dashboard) Repared the whole part who free.

Apart that, I did 400 miles with it since yesterday and I just do love it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have almost 6900 miles on my C230K and so far I have no major complains. Yes, maybe craftmanship isn't what it used to in the industry in general, but Mercedes will always stand out.
Factory warranty and maintanance programs are very good too.

Lose your fear and go get yours before somebody else does!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230: Good or Bad

Hi,

I have nearly 10,000 miles on my 2003 C230. No problems at all. Runs like a sewing machine on steroids!! Only problem: everybody note--I have already badly scraped both sides of those 18 inch long bumper strips on the front bumpers. I think they are replaceable? Say it is so! You cannot park too far up against those annoying cement car stops, in parking lots. The car is too low really and I am forever wacking them.
The C230s have a lot of the good stuff technos from the higher priced models. As long as you get regular service and dont thrash the car, with any luck it should be reliable. It is well screwed together and solid.

Al :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
oneoldkid said:
I have seen many posts on this message board from people complaining about something breaking or their car being in the shop a lot.

I have ordered a new C230K Sedan and I am starting to get a little worried.

I know that there are problems with all cars but can you all help me and others like me and tell us why we will love our new Mercedes.

I think that there should be lots of replies to this post as I think that there are a lot of fans out there. Please help me to reduce some of my worry about ordering a new Mercedes. I am moving up from a '96 VW Jetta GLS and my wife currently has a '00 VW Passat GLX. We have loved both cars!

Thanks

If you loved your veedubs then you probably wont mind the MINOR annoyances that your mercedes will preceed you. I had a New Beetle one point of my life and it had electrical issues and other minor cosmetical probs but NOTHING major. Only difference now is that you will get a doughnut, coffee and a loaner when you take your car to the dealer :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
i love all benzs and just like with every other car problems do apear and u learn to live with them, i have 90,000 on my c230 coupe and guess what none that are serious, just the ocasional bulb changes, sway bar links, and a recent one front end control arm (due to my stupidity) was riding on the spare for 2 weeks in NY, imagine! thats it i still nock on wood every time i get into my baby!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, it is definitely not a good quality car like Lexus.
I would rate it as an avarage quality car.

However the design is perfect and the car features many things that other cars don't have. Electronic accelerator, 100% electronic cruise controle, 100% electronic ESP, Trip computer, Heated windshield water etc. And in addition the car looks small but inside you have plenty of space especially for tall people.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do I love my Benz? At 120 MPH+, definitely. Those occasions are far too rare though. Its not everything that the uninitiated might expect from Daimler, but my first taste was a 240D, so.....

Anyway, while I could make a wish list of changes to engineer, I like the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry but what qualities and what history does you Lexus has that it actually gives you the right to compare the Benz to the Lex. After all Lex is just over priced Toyota. I give you that IS300 is a fun car for high street performence. On the other hand, Benz is what it is since the 1900's. Through out the years Benz perfected the diesel motor and on top of it the gas motors is at the top of the line. Not only that but if i may, Benz does have their products in many racing circules such as F1, Touring cars, etc... Oh, and they are doing pretty good. I think 2nd or 3rd place in F1, in the past season. I don't want to put down on the Lex, but may be we should compare Lex with something different like BIG and CONFTIBLE American cars. Any how I think one has to by in the Banz family for a while in order to enjoy their products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I LOVE MY BABY

To be honost, like other I will tell you that the cosmetic such as glovebox and seat squicking will happen. But on the other hand you will have the service program where they will put you in a loaner car. At least that is how they do it in N.C. Any way the motor and trans. should be great. I had no problem for the past 25000 miles. have fun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Couldn't care less about the loaner car, when I have trouble or just during the maintenance, I prefer to be there.

(Had too many troubles with unskilled or dishonest mechanics with my Volvos and BMWs. I don't have more trust because it's a Mercedes)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well then, I thought that was a nice touch. But I guess you could not appreciate that. Nevertheless, it is just a glovebox that is not closing or a lightbulb. You know, the motor could go bad.... but since that is not you concern them have fun at other dealers. Besides dealer here at Charlotte ar honest. they even call up for recalls. GOOD Luck!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would suggest that you scan the boards of BMW,Volvo,Saab and other brands that are in this class and compare what is posted about the cars.
I drove a VW Passet for four years before I got my C230K coupe. The stories about defects & dealer schananagins (sp?) turned my blood to ice water.The wife is still tooling around in it & the battery will be 6 yrs. old in Feb. Find a good dealer/shop & stay with it.
I think it comes down to "luck" and the care you take of the machine that
affects how it holds up in the long run. A good warrenty helps morale too.
Why not post your experience here every 5,000 miles?
So, good luck. and take it easy on your new M/B. :roll:
Zada

·
Registered
89 Posts
What in this world can you say you love without some complaints? My C230 sports coupe is running very close to what ever that may be. I'll tell you this. My daughters and son are in their 20's and I haven't found anything that is mine and they ask for it I won't give it to them or let them borrow it. My Benz is an exception. It hurts to say no when they ask to use my C230....well, it hurts for a minute at least :wink: then I say no. I only wish I could have afforded to add all of the options that are available. I must say though. Just in case Mercedes Benz reads this comment. I hate the driver and passenger seats and the side mirrors. With a little cash, I'm sure that can be remedied as well.
Now, I typed all that when what I really wanted to say is....I love my C230 sports coupe :!: :!: :!: 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a build date!!!

My new C230K will be built during the second "decade" in December (between the 10th and the 20th as I understand it.)

I will keep you all posted as to my progress with my new car! I can't wait for it to arrive. I will try to do as zada suggested and post every 5,000 miles or so as to my satisfaction with my new Benz!

Thanks for all of your input. I feel much better about the decision now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts